Wolf

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've lived in the same house for 35 years and never saw a deer here - until a couple weeks ago. One crossed our dead end road right in front of me. DH saw one in the brush across the street a couple days before that and a year or so ago, after he had a horrible accident he got a new car. His first day to go back to work after his accident, in his new car, he hit a deer. We have lots of hunters, and lots of coyotes - and yet the population has increased to the point that they are everywhere now. We don't have wolves here so maybe I need a hunting license and a rocking chair on the porch, lol!

I take Illinois nuisance law pretty serious. I see a deer in one of my gardens, it becomes many dinners.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've lived in the same house for 35 years and never saw a deer here - until a couple weeks ago. One crossed our dead end road right in front of me. DH saw one in the brush across the street a couple days before that and a year or so ago, after he had a horrible accident he got a new car. His first day to go back to work after his accident, in his new car, he hit a deer. We have lots of hunters, and lots of coyotes - and yet the population has increased to the point that they are everywhere now. We don't have wolves here so maybe I need a hunting license and a rocking chair on the porch, lol!

if you can hit one while rockin' i think you'd be a shoe-in for the Wild Bill show as Annie Oakley... :) we have people hunting around here during the season. some years we can tell if the hunters have gotten the ring-leaders that come wandering in our gardens or not. this past year has been pretty active so far even with the fencing i've been trying to get put up. also we've had severe winters where we've had herds of 40-70 deer feeding on the cedar trees. it didn't matter what i sprayed the trees with, the deer were hungry. they'd come back a half hour later and eat urine and hot pepper soaked trees like it was spring salad.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH dang - I've never seen a herd of 40 - 70 deer. I've seen them in other parts of our little town in groups of 10 - 15. Could I hit one from a rocking chair? I'd sure try to stop rocking, lol. Nerves might get the best of me! But, "across the road" is less than 20 yards. I'd probably never try to shoot one here unless they were actually on the property. Deer carry a parasite that can infect goats - so I can't tolerate that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i have a dark sense of humor, i would not really mind if my last moments at a ripe old age were in terror being jumped by a wolf or sabretoothed tiger. alas, i'm just likely going to have to be satisfied with being gummed by worms in some cemetary someplace.

I've said that if I think it's my time I'm going to go lie down in the pasture and let the pigs have me. They are the ultimate recyclers!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OH dang - I've never seen a herd of 40 - 70 deer. I've seen them in other parts of our little town in groups of 10 - 15. Could I hit one from a rocking chair? I'd sure try to stop rocking, lol. Nerves might get the best of me! But, "across the road" is less than 20 yards. I'd probably never try to shoot one here unless they were actually on the property. Deer carry a parasite that can infect goats - so I can't tolerate that.

this is a pic from a few years ago.

100_9107_Deer_thm.jpg

neighbor said she counted a herd of about 50 of them a few months ago - i've not seen that many together this season yet.

i've had them bed down in the North Garden which is about 15-20ft from where i'm at now. i don't think they will this winter because i took all the weeds and cover out of there. there's nothing in there to eat until spring comes along.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DANG! That's a bunch o' venison on the hoof! It's really breathtaking to me to see so many like that! I know they are considered a nuisance in many places - especially on the roads - but I still think they're beautiful!

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought the “There, Wolf” was a play on “Babe” but I don’t go to scary movies so I missed the smelling-of-animals reference.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is a quote from Young Frankenstein which is more funny than scary. :)

i agree that deer are very beautiful animals. i wouldn't mind having them around if they didn't carry ticks into the yard and sample all the plants. even the supposedly deer proof plants can be sampled to death if you get a bunch of them that don't know it yet. now everyone is getting worried about deer TB.

daffodils are one of the flowers that we've managed to have survive here - we have thousands of them.

Latest posts