Wondering about Lighting

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am wondering if this is a good idea or not...LOL

you know those sidewalk solar lights they have at hardware stores, the ones you push into the ground and are solar and come on at night......

would it be worth getting a set and leave outdoors, then if power is lost, you can bring them inside??

LOL

would that work instead of relying on battery stuff all the time. I mean they would serve 2 purposes and in an emergency could be brought in the home. I don't have a place to just set up emergency solar flashlights or lanterns to get the sun....but these being outside would always be charged. And then after using them during the night if needed in the house, just stick them ouside in the yard to recharge and use again at night inside if needed.

make sense?
LOL

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable- I'm picturing you carrying them around like torches, though. :lol: I'm not sure they will stand up in the house without help since they stick in the ground outside.

I love my wind-up flashlight- it isn't very bright, but in total darkness it's better than nothing and no recharge time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I believe I have read on this site , that people are doing that just for extra light--not just for emergencies. some epople take them into the barn at night also. I think it is agood idea, and I got some for Christmas from my sil. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL
I thought about that. I have quite a few vases and pottery jugs and such I could stand them up in.

oh but wait.....aren't they connected by an electrical cord?
Or are they individual?

Hmm....gotta think more on this one..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea valmom I had the wind up flashlight.
didn't thrill me because the light was dim and I paid alot of money for it, but in a pinch, you aren't kidding it is better than nothing.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Most of the sidewalk solar lights that I have seen in operation, leave a lot to be desired as far as light output goes. An old oil lamp puts out more lumens plus the added benefit of a little bit of heat.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
We haven't had very good luck with the outdoor solar landscape lighting. Batteries don't last, solar cells get all gunky looking, and they just quit working (corrosion?). I guess you could consider them temporary.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh really Dacs
I didn't know that cause I don't know anyone who has those types of solar lights in their yard.

very interesting

no, don't want temporary really. I never thought about the length of life they have. don't want to be throwing money away.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Some folks might have good luck. We haven't. The ants like ours too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ohhh I am a bug magnet here in NC

I wouldn't want to be bringing them inside with bugs on them...HAHA

I think more research would be required before purchase. I never thought about the weather damage to the units either.