Wood burner with 55 gallon barrels?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
55 barrel drums can 'take so much heat' and then you have trouble.
good for needed heat

insurance nightmare in real life

what were you thinking of using them for?

edited to say...see the white. white is stress/burn on that metal. not good for much in my opinion but great for 'certain' applications

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubby (doc_gonzo) built one of these for use in the neighbors greenhouse (which he also built) back when we were living in TN.

He's at work right now but I've IMed him about this post so he should reply back later this evening.

Here's some pix of it:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic tures and posts. I am not going to buy what the person is selling,but seeing it did make me wonder how well it works.

I have read that heat from fireplaces is lost up the chimney for the most part.

Curious on the cost to make it as well. I have seen steel barrels go for $15 each.No idea on the cost of the kit used to make this. If anything I would put one in the garage side room,but if doesn't last long I might as well spend more and invest in something that will last.

I am still stuck on getting a wood burning stove like my grams had.Good heat from it and good cooking too! I would rip out our current gas burner fireplace and put the stove in,but dh says no stove in the living room,lol.

The barrel stove seems easy to build,and if you could actually sell them for $125 that is a good deal!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We used a single barrel version to heat our house last wiinter. It worked great, but just don't overfill it or let it get a raging fire going in it because it WILL turn red hot, and damage the metal to the point of possibly not being safe in a home. It heated our 1300 sq. ft. nicely though. They aren't really made for in home use, so be very careful if that's what you use it for. If you take the 55 gallon barrel and put a smaller one inside, and customize it with sand around the inner barrel they are perfect for home use, just ugly as a bear turd. Eh...it worked for us in a pinch. I'd use it again if I HAD TO, probably not solely based on choice though ;) They are built for shop/garage/greenhouse use really.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you put anything homemade out of 55 gall barrels for heat into a home your homeowners insurance will almost absolutely drop you.

out building etc yea I can see it but in a home, no way. that I can see.

a real wood burning stove with EPA standards and all that sure, but if you 'make anything' homemade in your home ins. will have a fit.

and if you put one in, and it is determined it burned down your home, ins. sure won't pay a penny.

not sure on the application of this but be careful.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
UH OH! I better not let J see this! I'll just say I'm glad there is a fire hydrant within 100 yds of the house!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Many people build things to burn wood in their home. There are a million different deesigns! There is a safe way to do any of it. Insurance knew about it, and it did NOT double my homeowners. Their only stipulation was that the stove pipe sections had to be screwed together and proper fire resistant mats were placed under and behind the stove against the wall.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My parents have been using barrel drum stoves for heat for the past 35 years. They do a great job of heating...it's best if you use a heavier gauge metal than the typical oil barrel but they work also. Just gotta watch that overheating thing but this is something that is very easy to regulate with the use of the dampers. They don't just run away with you, turn red and burn down the house unless you are using them improperly.

They don't hold and radiate heat as well as some of the cast iron or soap stone stoves would do, but they are cheap, easy to use and maintain and cheap to replace when worn out.