Woodstove Glass Cleaner

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mackay, like the sound of your recipe but the idea of finding the sodium hydroxide and buying it, and buying spraybottles, and mixing, and worrying about it hitting the black part of the stove.....too much for me!

I can see that once it was set up it would be slick!

I like to get a hot fire going to clean the glass.

It gets really awful when I put in a big log and turn it down low to keep it going overnight, that is when I get a black lacquerlike coat on the stove window. When that happens, the ash trick doesn't work. Neither does the soap/scrubby. Sometimes I can scrape it with the cut end of kindling.

Might try the ice scraper trick!

RobinL

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A magic eraser is a white foam pad that is made by I believe Clorox. It cleans plastic that you can't get clean with scrubbers or anything else, great for cleaning outside of refrigerator from dirty hands, it cleans just about everything. Now I see that it gets the wood stove windows clean as well. I always have one around the house. We have a coal stove, so I am going to try to clean the window with the magic eraser. Thanks for the tip big brown horse!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our woodstove had a warning from the manufacturer to not use chemicals to clean the glass as that would increase the chance of the glass breaking during use. We always used the paper towels and wood ashes. Our new pellet stove says that it is an improved glass and you can use chemicals to clean it, but the wood ashes are still working so that's all I plan on using. I would hate to have that glass shatter while the stove was burning.

Latest posts