Woodstoves, We're going to be looking for one soon!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL beekissed.

We've decided to install it ourselves, but will wait until summer to do so as it's FAR too frigid out!. We're going to see if we can hit up the info session at home depot, etc.

Our only concern was getting through the double brick, and whether or not we'd need a lintel HOWEVER, my dad brought it to our attention that the place we're venting out used to be a doorway and therefore might only be SINGLE brick LOL with the lintel already installed as they didn't change anything, just filled in with brick.

For our hearth, we're doing slate tile it seams, a basin type bottom with a lip to prevent stuff from hitting the carpeting, and slate up the walls.

Our house has MASSIVE logs holding it up, like when I say massive I mean MASSIVE. Actually, I'll take a photo later LOL. So putting weight on the floor ain't an issue!

We're going to start looking for a stove we're happy with.

ALSO, you can buy "ECO FANS," from home depot and lowes that are powered by hot air, I believe they're only like $30.00 or something, they sit on top so the radiant heat coming off powers them and pushes the air around.

We've done much harder things than this, plumbing, electrical, etc.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lupine, we too decided to go with a wood stove 2 years ago. We saved to have a brick chimney put in the side of the house. $3000.00. I know..thats a lot of money...but...the wood stove was only $50.00 and we installed it ourselves. Its an older model KING...with a blower. Yes, when they electric goes out, the fan doesnt work, however..ours is in the basement/family room...and the heat radiates up and keep the living area quite comfortable. I think you will be amazed at how much you can save when you get that thing up and running. Just remember....have that Chimney checked and cleaned, by a professional...every spring.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Lupine, we too decided to go with a wood stove 2 years ago. We saved to have a brick chimney put in the side of the house. $3000.00. I know..thats a lot of money...but...the wood stove was only $50.00 and we installed it ourselves. Its an older model KING...with a blower. Yes, when they electric goes out, the fan doesnt work, however..ours is in the basement/family room...and the heat radiates up and keep the living area quite comfortable. I think you will be amazed at how much you can save when you get that thing up and running. Just remember....have that Chimney checked and cleaned, by a professional...every spring.
Yup! We had a woodburning fireplace at the old place.

We're going with the metal stovepipe, you won't see it from the front of the house except the very tip of it and we have a huge tv tower on that side of the house so putting a brick chimney up is not ideal. Can't wait to get that slate though, it'll look gorgeous!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We went with the brick chimney because we had to pput the woodstove on the north end of the house. When we looked into this whole adventure....we were told if we went with metal pipes the winter winds would cause condensation from the heat coming out, and would rust the pipes faster. We would have to replace them every few years. So, Brick it is! Besides...I like the look of a brick shimney...gives Santa a better fit! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have a chimney up the middle of this house and we vent directly into it. The chimney runs through my bedroom, so I sleep with the windows open all winter! :lol:

You know? They should build all new houses with a chimney up the middle....just so folks can convert to wood heat later if they wish....it doesn't take up much space and it could come in real handy later....hmmmmmmmm... wonder why contractors don't think of this? :idunno

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
justusnak said:
We went with the brick chimney because we had to pput the woodstove on the north end of the house. When we looked into this whole adventure....we were told if we went with metal pipes the winter winds would cause condensation from the heat coming out, and would rust the pipes faster. We would have to replace them every few years. So, Brick it is! Besides...I like the look of a brick shimney...gives Santa a better fit! ;)
Strange, we weren't told anything like that and most people around here have metal. Our old place had a metal chimney vented out the side and up. was 30 years and only just started to go rusty after the top blew off one night in a horrible storm LOL.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I have a chimney up the middle of this house and we vent directly into it. The chimney runs through my bedroom, so I sleep with the windows open all winter! :lol:

You know? They should build all new houses with a chimney up the middle....just so folks can convert to wood heat later if they wish....it doesn't take up much space and it could come in real handy later....hmmmmmmmm... wonder why contractors don't think of this? :idunno
:( They had at least 3 chimneys on this house at one point, one at the back, one at the front, and one in the middle. All have been removed, the one at the back looks like it caused a chimney fire or was in poor repair, the one at the front was removed to put in a large window (now being replaced with size appropriate windows LOL. And the one in the middle has been gone for ages it seems, no chimney brest left in the house at all.

We're venting out the side wall where a door used to be (header is still in place! so we're hoping its only single brick!) and up the side of the house, it'll only be about 10ft of pipe as its on the side where the wall is only 12.5 ft tall LOL, so the bit its coming out is essentially one story.

Can't wait for the summer so we can start planning this properly! We're going to install, and then have it inspected and WETT certified by a chimney sweep that is WETT certified.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So the one in the middle has been closed off from the top of the chimney, or merely inside the house? Because my chimney doesn't have an actual fireplace at all and you can't see any stone, but its covered over with spackle and paint and wallboard. You may want to explore if that chimney is an option and maybe you could vent into it. Save alot of stovepipe, that's for sure! It would be cheaper to clean out an old chimney and vent into it, than broach a load bearing wall and buy long lenghts of stovepipe.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So the one in the middle has been closed off from the top of the chimney, or merely inside the house? Because my chimney doesn't have an actual fireplace at all and you can't see any stone, but its covered over with spackle and paint and wallboard. You may want to explore if that chimney is an option and maybe you could vent into it. Save alot of stovepipe, that's for sure! It would be cheaper to clean out an old chimney and vent into it, than broach a load bearing wall and buy long lenghts of stovepipe.
No fireplace, no chimney out the top, you just find bits of it in the wall, like in the bathroom you can see part of a chimney brest.

And as for the loadbearing wall, I'm told we don't need a lintel if we go 6" and under, HOWEVER if we go through the old doorway where they bricked it up and left the old doorheader/lintel, we can pretty much do what we want.

The house was gutted sometime in the 70s-80s, every bit of character possible has been taken out. Nothing left, the whole upstairs was re-framed, rooms were moved, new drywall, stairs were moved, on and on.