WOOT! Gas bill waaaay down!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
shareneh said:
We switched to woodstove heat and boy are we saving!! If there is someone awake to keep the fire going the house stays nice and cozy day and night.

The temps here in North Dakota are getting close to zero now. I checked with the propane company about a month ago and the price was $1.85 a a gallon, I bought some Friday at $1.55 a gallon, saving .30 a gallon or $60.00. :celebrate

I work nights so most of the time it works out so we don't have to be cold at all. We plan to only use our furnace at night because staying awake to keep the fire going is sometimes out of the question.

In short I have only had to spend $300 for this year's home heating compared to last year's total bill of $2300.00. :weee
That is awesome!!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
O__O You have a gas meter?

We just have the Hydro meter, as our heating is oil, stove and fireplace in the master are propane, and everything else is electric.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Farmfresh- thanks for all of the great tips :) We were going to look into an exhaust fan being put up into the attic, you open the downstairs windows after a hot day and the fan pulls all of the hot air up and out and is sucks the cooler air in thru the windows....it is supposed to eliminate the need for AC. Our upstairs does get too hot to sleep, but luckily for us we usually only have a handful of those bad heat spells a year!

PamsP - I jsut saw an oil lamp at walmart for about $5 and a large bottle of oil for $3.95. I put them in my cart, but had already gone a bit over budget so I relented and put them back :/ but I plan to keep it on my list and as soon as I can spare the few extra dollars, I am, getting them!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I also found a link for a solar ventilator. I think these could be used to exhaust excess heat from an attic space. http://www.eggcartons.com/product-exec/product_id/18/nm/SunRise_1250_Solar_Ventilator_V1250F That would probably also help with the heat.

A direct drive attic fan or whole house fan is supposed to be the best. The way our house is designed (1 1/2 story) we can't have one of those unless we would want the main fan duct in the middle of a bedroom or the living room.

As far as oil lamps. They also make lamps that will burn any old cooking oil (special wicks). Olive oil is supposed to burn very cleanly. http://www.lehmans.com

I think just being aware is half of the solution. Thanks to this site we are all more prepared for emergencies and saving more money!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
On another thread Mrs. Puff describes using a outdoor solar light inside. I will be doing just that.

Lehmans sells a wick and top that you screw on to a mason jar, fill with oil and you've got an oil lamp. Couple bucks. Be sure to get a glass chimney, too.
Dollar stores carry lamp oil for $1 bottle.

A mirror behind a candle amplifies it's light. That's how sconces came about.

Candles are too easy to make. Just a wick and paraffin/old candles and a container. If you pour into glass, let the wax cool a little first.
Oh and heat wax at a low slow temperature, preferably a double boiler, but if not a pan. Don't let it smoke. Color it with pieces crayon, weight your wick on the bottom of container with a flat washer and tie it to a pencil resting in top, carefully pour in and let cool completely.

The candle that puts out the most and best light is a 5 armed candelabra with tapers in it. I see them and candles at yard sales all the time.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In short I have only had to spend $300 for this year's home heating compared to last year's total bill of $2300.00

***WOW Shareneh
that is huge!

our propane was $3.14 when I filled up 100 lbs about 2/3 mos ago. Ugh...I like your price better...we are about $3.99 right now.

you got a great deal saving that $60--better in your pocket than theirs..HA HA