Work in progress thread - Monastic herbalism of saint benedict order

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Work in progress thread - Monastic herbalism of saint benedict order

Quoting after wiki:
The Order of Saint Benedict (Latin name: Ordo Sancti Benedicti) is a Roman Catholic religious order of independent monastic communities that observe the Rule of St. Benedict. Within the order, each individual community (which may be a monastery, a priory or abbey) maintains its own autonomy, while the organization as a whole exists to represent their mutual interests.
which means that they tried to be as SS as they could, gathered their herbs and foods, they tried to provide for the community. Back in the days, priests were one of the very few people educated, O.S.B. here in Europe is well knowned for its herbalism and herbal remedies. Recently digging through a bunch of books I found a great book that was written by one of the fathers of the order in German and then translated to polish, I will translate it by parts into English, it covers lots and lots of herbs and ways to use them. The great thing is that it covers those more available herbs (at least here in Poland, seeds are easily available). You can ask questions, but I will try to maintain order of the book and I think a couple of people will it quite interesting.... of to writing ;)

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I am not sure of how to name something, I will put it in bold so that you can say whether it is ok, or how to change it.

Well... the contents is divided into sections.

--=={Mental disorders and nerves:}==--

-sleep deprivation and nervousness
-anxiety disorder
-Depression
-Headaches
-Migranes
-Neuralgia

--=={Respiratory tract}==--

-runny nose
-laryngitis am not sure.. well see later
-cough
-fever
-sinusitis
-tonsillitis
-chronic bronchitis
-asthma

--=={heart, bloodstream, blood vessels}==--

-anemia
-heart failure
-low blood pressure
-hypertension
-atherosclerosis
-heart rhythm disorder
-hemorrhoids

--=={stomach and intestines}==--

-inflammations in oral cavity and throat
-nausea and vomiting
-stomach hypersensivity
-Irritable bowel syndrome
-constipation
-diarrhea
-liver problems

--=={kidney and bladder}==--

-kidney stones
-bladder inflamation
-prostate hyperplasia

--=={skin}==--

-impetigo
-atopic dermatitis
-psoriasis
-Urticaria
-furuncle/boil
-wart
-herpes
-mycosis
-wounds
-stings
-burns

--=={muscles and joints}==--
-Osteoarthritis
-rheumatism
-arthritics
-backache
-muscle cramps
-blunt force injuries

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This looks very interesting 007 and cant wait to see what you come up with.

Right now I'm treating with a case of post herpetic neurolgia, a remant from an outrageous herpes zoster outbreak. We are using mezerum homeopathic which is controling the pain but needs to be repeated daily, which I consider inferior, although granted the best treatment I've ever seen.

Does your book have any treatment for such a neuralgic pain either from this cause, or I am always looking for treatment for the pain of diabetic neuropathy and other neuropathies of the legs.

and for some reason I have gotten the impression that nettles is a very popular remedy in that part of the world and I am wondering what they use it for in your book

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
rty007, When you are not sure of the translation, you might also write it in Polish. I don't kow if there are any polish speaker (other than yourself) on this forum, but there are many people of polish origin here in the U.S. and we can find out the translation.

I know a little bit of Polish, but not enough to translate much of anything ;) I learned enough to communicate with my Polish Great Grandmother and my family used Polish words in daily conversation.
But we mixed up three languages around our dinner table, and outsiders had a hard time keeping up with the conversation :lol:

I think it is great that you came across this book. I grew up with German herbal remedies, but left Germany when I was 13, so I learned most of my herbal knowledge here in the states.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
rty007, When you are not sure of the translation, you might also write it in Polish. I don't kow if there are any polish speaker (other than yourself) on this forum, but there are many people of polish origin here in the U.S. and we can find out the translation.

I know a little bit of Polish, but not enough to translate much of anything ;) I learned enough to communicate with my Polish Great Grandmother and my family used Polish words in daily conversation.
But we mixed up three languages around our dinner table, and outsiders had a hard time keeping up with the conversation :lol:

I think it is great that you came across this book. I grew up with German herbal remedies, but left Germany when I was 13, so I learned most of my herbal knowledge here in the states.
I signed up for my e-mail at Live.com, which gave me a toolbar with a Translator - I just highlight the text, open my toolbar, select "translate", and VOILA"! It's kind of cool, actually. :thumbsup

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
most of the things that are not quite clear to me I used Latin, I am sure you all can find its name when you've got Latin name. I translate it to a file in a notepad then I will throw it in, in batches

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sooo sorry, it is not done yet, but I was out of town the past 10 days, A first batch will be ready by the end of of the week.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patiently waiting till you have time :)