Work time and "me" time

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I saw this quote this morning and it got me thinking, not because I'm a slacker when it comes to house work, but because I am guilty of this at times. Putting aside things I'd like to do for me, instead doing things that I feel I should be doing rather. This sometimes ends up making me feel overwhelmed and eventually more unproductive, because I'm so busy running through the "need to do", that I forget to do "me" as well. How often do you, men and woman, skip "me time" in favour of doing what you feel you should be doing instead?

“I've seen women insist on cleaning everything in the house before they could sit down to write... and you know it's a funny thing about housecleaning... it never comes to an end. Perfect way to stop a woman. A woman must be careful to not allow over-responsibility (or over-respectabilty) to steal her necessary creative rests, riffs, and raptures. She simply must put her foot down and say no to half of what she believes she "should" be doing. Art is not meant to be created in stolen moments only.”

― Clarissa Pinkola Estés

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Amen, sistah! There have been times in my life that I was so busy taking care of people and things that there were no more hours left in the day. I HAD to go to work, I HAD to take care of the animals, I HAD to take care of my parents, and I HAD to take care of DH. The only thing I could slack off on was a bit of housework. I never slacked on cooking, kitchen cleaning or laundry...but dusting and mopping had very large intervals in between, lol.

And, I refuse to feel guilty about it at all! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of you when I posted the above, FEM. You were busy enough for three people awhile ago!

I need to work on the not feeling guilty for taking time off part. I tend to feel I have to do everything right now...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of you when I posted the above, FEM
Ahhhh- you're sweet!

At one time in my life I was one of those "spotless" people. Mopped - not just every day - but multiple times. Same with vacuuming and dusting ... and I enjoyed it. But, as time went by it wasn't as enjoyable - and I started to feel driven! And, not in a good way.

As a new wife, and new mother a few years later it was what was expected. It got to where I started to feel anxious if it wasn't up to my standards. It took a little while to figure out that this was indeed something I needed to get over, lol. I decided it was silly to be a slave to my house. The first time I let someone into my house and I hadn't mopped the kitchen that morning was monumental!

Don't feel guilty - do something enjoyable with DS or friends! Wouldn't you hate to miss an opportunity to do something awesome because you were dusting?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Exactly right! And it's not just house work, is everything we need to do, work, demands from family, etc as well.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Um.... My house is never spotless. I blame it on the dogs. It's only kinda their fault, lol.

But seriously, clutter, laundry and dishes bother me. The rest I can live with. My mother can't stand my house because she's a clean freak. I'm just not!

I figure I'll never look back at life and wish I spent more time cleaning the house.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My wife is on me about this all the time. Lol. It's difficult. We still need to sort the mess created by our move.

She made me sit down and watch a favorite movie Sunday afternoon

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm ready for some 'me time' too - which usually means goat time - but that's ok because I enjoy it!