Worst cramps ever...help!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have been awake since about 3am with the worst cramps I have ever had. (the female variety)

I can barely move or function. I took a couple of ibuprofen, which is not helping (at least not yet) and I know that is far from a natural remedy...but is there anything else I can do to ease the pain?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It usually takes me about 800 mg of ibuprofen to do the trick.. Maybe a heating pad?

Feel better. :hugs
g

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Curling up in a fetal position while eating chocolate seems to help me. :)

SO asked what was wrong. I said, "My uterus hurts." :gig

:hugs

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is a website called earthclinic.com. People send in remedies that have helped them. I checked out the remedy for extreme cramps since my daughter also suffers from them. The suggested remedy is blackstrap molasses (unsulfured). She hasn't been taking it for very long so I don't know if this works. Your suppose to take a tablespoon once a day. Apparently the idea is that your body is lacking some nutrient and that is the reason for the cramps.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hot water bottle or heating pad. Try to relax every other part of your body & breathe slow & deep. Massage with your fingertips, I massage fairly deep into my lower belly.
:hugs That sucks girl, hope you start feeling better soon!

ETA: How has your water intake over the last few days been? Also, magnesium & potassium help with muscle cramps in general.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Bend you body and wiggle, touch your toes, or wax the floor on your hands and knees.

I know it sounds crazy, but cramps are caused when blood clots get stuck, moving around gets them unstuck!

This has worked better and faster than any pain pill for me.

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have to agree with Wildsky!

Stopping for cramps has never been an option for me, and I have found if I just keep moving, they go away!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Fennel tea, made very strong, and two full mugs. Use the seeds you get in the spice section. Organic if you can get it. I used to keep homemade fennel tea bags in a jar for this. I used coffee filters folded and stapled with a generous spoonful of fennel seeds in it. Boil the water, pour it over the fennel, put a plate on top to hold the heat in, and let it steep for 10 minutes. If you like it really hot, wrap a kitchen towel around the mug to hold more heat in. Sweeten with honey or stevia. Add a bag of black tea for a couple of minutes if you'd like to add flavor. It tastes like mild licorice.

I used to get those 3 AM unstoppable cramps every month...every 32-39 days, actually. My OB/Gyn is the one who introduced me to isotonic-capable OPC-3 and put me on a triple dose. It took three months, but my period started coming every 28 days and started between 8-9 AM with barely any cramps....one ibuprofen and I'm good to go. It has been about eight years now. This is why I harp on these products. They have saved me many, many hours of pain.

The studies show that it works by impacting blood flow and inflammation. (One published in "Angiology" for cardiologists proved huge benefits to cardio-vascular health for these reasons....the results were fall-off-your-lab-stool amazing.)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If I don't have enough magnesium, I get worse menstrual cramps. Don"t take huge doses at once though or it will have a laxative effect. I stay away from the magnesium oxide ones, for that reason. Didn't want to be yucky, but it's better to know in time.
When I need to get it into my system fast, I use the powdered version. Here's my favorite
: http://www.vitacost.com/Peter-Gillham-Natural-Calm-Plus-Calcium-Organic-Raspberry-Lemon