Worst cramps ever...help!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
sounds crazy but.....situps. They get the blood moving to your abdomen, and help with clotting. Forcing the muscles there to work and the endorfins (sp) from your brain also contributes.

Basically, use your belly muscles ....doesn't have to be situps....yoga, or like someone said, moving that area. Hope you feel better!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great ideas!

That ibuprofen kicked in FINALLY and I feel better now, may even make it to swim!

My water intake has been good, diet good...not sure about the mag. I do take a multi vit, but I piss away most of that :rolleyes:

I guess I need to prepare for next month by having some of these ideas on hand.

Interesting note, maybe someone can comment....since eliminating processed food (still eat cheese and the occasional salami), grains, sugar and all fast food from my diet, my periods have gotten shorter but more intense.

I went from 5-6 days with a 12 hour window of very heavy bleeding to a 3-4 day period, that 12 hour window has shortened to about 6-8 but much more painful than in the past. This was the worst month ever! I almost sent my kids to school with lunch money because I was having such a hard time standing in the kitchen......but I would have to be too sick to get out of bed for that to happen! :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
How are you doing on electrolytes? The only thing I can note based upon what you've said is that you need to be cautious about salt intake when you stop eating processed foods and continue to exercise.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad you are feeling better!
Mine have gotten shorter, slightly heavier flow, but less intense. Very little nausea, minor cramping, muuuuuch less of a b^&ch :p
DH has decided to sell his stock in Midol and stopped hiding the knives and duct tape :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Many women on the low carb forums report changes in their period. For me, mine sucked before diet change and they still suck. Pretty sure in my case it is genetics :p

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will admit that my solution is to take 12 hour Midol. :hide :hide I only ever have cramps the first day.

But, when I do have to drag my butt out and walk around the rest of my cycle is lighter and easy. I mean, I've had three day cycles if I walk around a lot on my first day. Usually I'm at five days. So I have second (or third?) the exercise suggestion.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
DM I do love my salt, so I doubt that is a worry....I put it on my salads and on meat and cooked veggies. Although, something to certainly be aware of!

Funny how much our diet affects every aspect of our lives isn't it?!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm glad you are doing well on salt. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I'd be curious to see if this pain is a new trend for you or just a fluke. Hopefully the latter. :fl

Food is so integral to our well-being, it surprises me that so many doctors discount diet in health-related problems.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do a strong tea of black cohosh and raspberry leaf for cramps, it makes me feel like the "pitch" of the cramps changes to something more comfortable, if that makes any sense.

And I hope this isn't too over the line, but a nice orgasm is one of the best cramp-relievers out there. :hide