WOW look at this baby

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lol theres this big antique barn near us and he has one even older than that! I thought it was pretty darn awesome, his one is wood.

BerryHill in Ontario carries antique looking new hand washers and mangles and I'm trying to convince my mum we should fork out the $700 or so dollars and buy one to use over the summer months. It would definitely save some electricity and you could use rain barrel water for it...

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've used those before. If any of you are facebook friends you can see me helping my mom do the laundry with one.

Yes, they are electric. Fill the tub with water, add your detergent, agitate. Empty the wash water. Run through the wringer, no spin cycle. Add rinse water, rinse, run through the wringer again. Hang up clothes on the solar clothes dryer.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I had one too:>) Sold it with the house...as a planter:>) Apparently it worked but had a leak in it. I used it for a party beer cooler filled with ice:>)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandmother had one in a building outside of the house we called the wash house. She heated water over a fire in a huge black iron pot. My mom had one that had 2 tubs so you could wring washed clothes out and put in the rinse water then wring. When she was finished, the rinse water was emptied into a big galvanized wash tub and my brother and I got to play in it. Nothing was wasted at our house.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandmother had one of those too... I remember watching her do laundry in it... she had had polio and had no feeling in her hands, so she had to be really careful about not getting her fingers caught in the wringer...

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm feeling very gratefull at the moment that I have absolutely no memory of ever helping anyone use one of those laundry torture devices!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
A friend I used to babysit for had one like that. It was always a big deal to keep the kids away from it, when she was doing the wash.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
One of my earliest memories is getting my arm caught in one of those wringers! Not good. The blood was squeezed all the way up my arm and it sort of ballooned out. My mother had one in the first house I remember growing up in.