WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an unopened package of red solo cups in my cabinet. I've had 'em for years and probably just need to recycle 'em, lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made a little butter churn by cutting a hole in a canning lid that was just big enough to slide the top of a beater to my portable mixer through before attaching it to the mixer. Add the cream (or in this case the gelatin etc) to the canning jar, put the beater in there and slide the lid on and screw down, then attach the mixer and go to town. I never had enough cream to do more than a pint at a time, but I suppose it would work with a quart jar as well?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made a little butter churn by cutting a hole in a canning lid that was just big enough to slide the top of a beater to my portable mixer through before attaching it to the mixer.
What an absolutely wonderful idea! I will definitely be trying that one.

The butter extender recipe is a success in my opinion! I had it on toast this morning (I know, I know - it's not keto) and it tastes great. The only thing I changed is that I didn't add the salt because I prefer my butter unsalted.

My question will be if it's sufficient for frying. I love an egg fried in butter and I haven't tried that yet. If not, I always have "real" butter around anyway.

I tried at first to whip it with a whisk...fail. Then I switched to the mixer. I'll do it correctly from now on. I did find a tiny little lump of gelatin about the size of a grain of rice in it this morning - but it didn't bother me, lol.

Texture isn't like soft margarine at all...it set up pretty solid. I put it on hot toast, waited a few secs and then it spread just fine.

I'm sure I'll do it again. Thanks @Marianne for the recipes and the ideas. Now I have to find another one to try!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made a little butter churn by cutting a hole in a canning lid that was just big enough to slide the top of a beater to my portable mixer through before attaching it to the mixer. Add the cream (or in this case the gelatin etc) to the canning jar, put the beater in there and slide the lid on and screw down, then attach the mixer and go to town. I never had enough cream to do more than a pint at a time, but I suppose it would work with a quart jar as well?
Smart!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Vegans use a similar approach to this recipe.

Comments: This seems a simple recipe but judging the mixing and getting the consistency right can be quite difficult.
Preparation Time: 20-30 minutes
Number of servings: Enough to accompany 4 salads.
Serving suggestions: Serve with Fresh salad.

This recipe provided an alternative to mayonnaise made with eggs, as eggs were a rationed food during WW2. It was submitted by Fergus Martin, Chef at the Robinson College, Wyboston Lakes.

Ingredients
  • 1 small baked potato
  • 5ml (1 tsp) mustard
  • salt
  • about 2 teaspoons vinegar
  • 150ml (¼ pt) salad oil

Making and cooking it
  1. Peel and mash the potato
  2. Stir in the mustard and salt
  3. Add the vinegar, beating well
  4. Beat in the salad oil slowly, adding only a little at a time and mixing well
Credit: http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/printview-744-eggless-mayonnaise.html

One of the comments said to put the potato through a ricer to get better results. I'm thinking it'd be easier in the Ninja/Magic Bullet thing. OR what about using leftover mashed potatoes?

Latest posts