WWYD canning Q?

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alright, what would you do if this was you? Your making a batch of pickle relish. It's 2 AM and your very tired. You finish off the batch of 3 Quart size jars. They're sitting on your counter cooling nicely. Then you remember that you forgot to make sure all of the air bubbles were out of the jar before you processed them. So, what would you do?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Maybe one of the more experienced canners can give some advice, but I think I'd just keep an eye on them. Do they have good seals? Or maybe put the jars in the fridge if you're too worried.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I probably never would have thought of it in the first place, so they would have gone on the shelf in the closet not to be thought of again until needed.:rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder if I should be canning. I also usually forget to wipe the rims clean. If it has alot of vinegar I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are, store them in the fridge.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Keep and eye on the seals. I almost never remember to take all of the air bubble out and have never had a problem. We leave ours out of the pantry for a day or two though just to double check the seals. If any of them pop. We'll put them in the fridge and use them up or wait for another batch and try a new lid and seal then.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Homemaker said:
Alright, what would you do if this was you? Your making a batch of pickle relish. It's 2 AM and your very tired. You finish off the batch of 3 Quart size jars. They're sitting on your counter cooling nicely. Then you remember that you forgot to make sure all of the air bubbles were out of the jar before you processed them. So, what would you do?
Go to bed, then check the seals in the morning. They will be just fine. The air always works it's way to the top.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'd just check the seals carefully the next day (see below) and if any of them developed pathologically excessive headspace during canning -- too much product sticking up above the juice -- eat those sooner rather than later.

The best check I know of for a good seal is to remove the ring the next day, and try to pick the jar up with just your fingertips caught on the extreme edge of the canning lid. So the seal is bearing the full weight of the jar, you are not holding the glass neck at all. Obviously do this carefully and prepared for any failures :p

If it was relish, it is quite possible you did not have any hidden air bubbles of significant size, as the stuff is usually pretty free-moving and cut into small pieces. The worst problem I have with stubborn air bubbles is when things are kind of thickly gooey or disinclined to move, e.g. apple pie filling.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'll keep a good eye on them. But, they do seem to be doing fine. I'll try the rim test too just to be sure. I don't know what even made me realize my mistake. I wish I could say it was just fatigue but, I make mistakes even when I'm well rested. And I suppose if they do pop then Oh, well I guess I'll be eating a lot of relish this month :lol:.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I frequently forget to check for airbubbles, I just do the rim test. Sometimes I recan something, if I happen to be doing more canning anyway, other wise it goes in the fridge.