wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I finally got the old flock of chickens butchered and into the fridge. Gotta get them cut, packaged and frozen soon.
The new flock needs to get out of the brooder area and into the coop with the run. The new flock is starting to lay and I need to get them nest box trained. I will be cleaning out the coop today, cleaning will go onto the new compost area along with the hay out of the barn that the guy left 8 years ago when we bought the place. Dang barn cats are using it as a litter box.

Going to be putting a good thick layer of leaves out in the run for the chickens to play in and make some frames to make no-scratch areas in the run and see if anything will survive with protection from scratching. I am thinking of making cold-frame covers for the frames to protect the plants until they are tall enough for the chickens to decimate. Make about 4 frames with 2 lids ... move them around to try to keep some veg available for when I can't let them free-range. I can't let the chickens free-range unless I am out there to watch them. First time I let my chickens free-range they crossed the street and started to work up the farm field. Don't want to irritate the neighbors, so they are only allowed supervised free-range. Besides, twice now we have caught dogs running loose

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think a normal large chicken egg is a 1/4 cup?
If so, I will measure them that way.

I asked google, it says 4 large eggs is 1 cup. So use enough small pullet eggs to fill the liquid measuring cup to 1/2 cup.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thankfully, Gus is feeling much better. Demanding to have the ball thrown if you are outside. Constant.Ball.Throwing. He does tire out a little faster, but his limp is a little better also. Making sure to take it a little slower with him now.
He ate all of his breakfast, licking the bowl clean. Yesterday he would only eat if I fed him - with the spoon.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our Dogs: Pistol Pete (12 years old)
PistolPete.JPG

and Gus

Attachments

• gus.JPG
    gus.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 139

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Missed the apple crop this year. Went out to pick and they are rotting on the tree. I will need to rake the dropped apples up and dump them on the compost pile in the field.
Bought a box of peaches, so i will be canning peaches the next few days. Slices and Peach Comfort. Need to go into the basement and bring up a bunch of jelly jars for the peach sauce.
Ugh! I hate going down into the basement, lol! The stairs are really steep and narrow; its hard for this old, fat body to navigate the stairs carrying anything.
I really need to get weight loss going.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I could build new stairs - there just isn't any room to. This old house has so many oddities, it just makes me shake my head. There are water pipes coming out of the basement wall right above a step and have a 90 degree bend to go under the staircase.
They were made to move the well out of the well pit in the garage, so it was drilled between the garage and the calf shed - which puts the garage between the well and the house. Somehow, the water pipes go from the outside well to the well pit in the garage and then into the basement of the house where the pressure tank is. It splits to feed the house and go back out to the well pit to connect to the old pipe for the barn and outdoor fonts. But the barn has been disconnected completely from the well, so no water but the fonts work. Where the barn disconnect happens, I don't have a clue.