wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Sounds like a challenge. It can be difficult, living in an older house. Sure makes you wonder, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??
Oh geesh, it not just old homes. The dude that built my previous home in the late 90's. Didn't even put a wax ring under one of the commodes. That was the least of his issues in that house

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like a challenge. It can be difficult, living in an older house. Sure makes you wonder, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??

from my experience that is best summarized as "We thought this at first, built it, and then added on... and then Aunt Ester moved in the back porch so we enclosed that, then she passed away so we moved a bunch of stuff back there and added on off to the side and ..."

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your depression :hugs I can see why as you stated! Call your friends from your old. neighborhood 👍. Will do you good to touch base, with today's phones there's really no charge. 😄. Talk to US...everyday. We're here for you. We love to talk. 😁:old

Plus, you can hang up on us and we won't even know. :hide

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Lindale I put up permanent tomato trellis. 3 cow panels, 20” apart, 18” off the ground, T-posted in place. I planted tomato plants and they grew themselves in the trellis. 3 cow panels gave me a double tomato row. Easy, don’t take them down, use every season.

Make it easy on yourself. Sorry you’re so lonely and depressed. We are here for you!

DF4C4FED-AFC0-4975-A8A9-8F1E020A0AC0.jpeg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Got some tomatoes canned up: not much, but some. The tomatoes didn't do so hot this year. My fault, I didn't get them staked up right away and weeds took over. The plants got diseased really bad and by fall most were just stems and tomatoes with a few green leaves at the top of the plant. Next year will be better - and putting a couple of plants in the greenhouse just for good measure.
I have been dealing with depression this summer. I guess, looking back, I have been depressed for a few years now. It finally really started to hit me hard this summer. Unemployment and high gas prices have me stuck at home in isolation. I am missing my neighborhood of friends back in Wyoming. The friends I have here are the wives of DH's friends - good people but not anyone I could just call up and gab with.
I am finishing up fall cleanup. Need to get my old flock of 7 hens into freezer camp and move the new flock to the coop. If the old flock wouldn't eat eggs, there are a couple I would like to keep, but I found the last Sagitta in coop breaking an egg open, so she is going. The white EE hen lays a very pretty blue egg, but she doesn't lay many eggs and is so skittish. She also refuses to leave the run and forage with the rest of the flock. Guess she will make good soup along with the rest. We are going ot have a little warm-up this weekend, so that will be on the To Do list.
Depression is not fun. Folks here can listen and hopefully help

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As for the talking to myself... long time ago when people questioned me about talking to myself this was my answer... "of course I talk to myself, I need an intelligent answer" !!!!! That always gets them to stop and think if not shut up completely.
Then the other day I splurged on a sign in a discount bin; TSC maybe... It says..."Of course I talk to myself, I need expert advice".... Got it right up on the desk to look at...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think I am going to pick up a gift card for the grocery store - then they can pick whatever treat they want. The vet knows that there is no way to clip Gus's nails without sedation, so I am sure that is why they did it. I just really appreciated it and that they got him in to see the vet so quilckly - I want to let them know that.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got the cherries mostly canned - pie filling as usual, but tried a couple of new recipes; Danish Cherry Sauce and Cherry BBQ Sauce. The Danish Cherry Sauce is pretty good, it is not thickened before canning, recipe says to thicken it when you use it. I will be thickening it next year before canning. It is good in yogurt though. The BBQ sauce turned out pretty good, a couple of minor tweeks and it will be a regular canning item.
Been doing applesauce, tonight is the last canning run of that -until I buy apples for Apple Pie filling.
Right now I am looking at canning tomatoes. DH wants plain Canned Tomatoes, so I will make of those a dozen jars of those. My recipe is only for Pints though. I also want to make up some Tomato Sauce and try a new recipe for "Meatloaf Topping" that sounds pretty good.
I am looking for a recipe for Sloppy Joe sauce - bell peppers make me sick to my stomach, so store bought sloppy joe mix is a no go for me. I have been making homemade sloppy joes from scratch using the Betty Crocker recipe, but it would be really handy to have the sauce ready to go for quick meals after work. brown the ground beef and onions, dump in the sauce - easy peasy!

Latest posts