wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, decided tonight to start my own journal - I have enjoyed so many of the ones on here and I think I need something to get my butt off the couch and get this farmstead going. As background, DH and I purchased a 25 acre farmstead in NE Wisconsin early this summer. We have a beautiful 80 year old house, a detached garage, a big red barn, and 6 other buildings. DH moved to WI Jan 1 for his job and I stayed in WY until our home sold this fall. We had 2 mortgages for the summer so I had to continue working.

Up next - "the Interview/opening questions"

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, decided tonight to start my own journal - I have enjoyed so many of the ones on here and I think I need something to get my butt off the couch and get this farmstead going. As background, DH and I purchased a 25 acre farmstead in NE Wisconsin early this summer. We have a beautiful 80 year old house, a detached garage, a big red barn, and 6 other buildings. DH moved to WI Jan 1 for his job and I stayed in WY until our home sold this fall. We had 2 mortgages for the summer so I had to continue working.
Welcome to Wisconsin, @wyoDreamer! We are south-est, central-est Wisconsin of Rock County, on 30 acres. One of my biggest problems with on line sites is my zone envy. I suspect there's none where you live -- you must be solid a zone 4, to my borderline zone 5. I get to experiment a bit more here.

Put on your G-Bay sweatshirt and Cheesehead hat and get to working on the new property! We'll be talking together soon.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading more about you.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Next project - get through these questions... there are some that I will not be answering, either I have no opinion or just don't know...

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
We moved to the Green Bay area of Wisconsin, 35 miles from my parents, so I sorta know the area. We are in Zone 4 now, funny my hometown is a zone 3, so you can see how close to a zone 3 I am. We get some "lake effect" which moderates our temp just a bit.
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
It is just me and my DH, and a dog and 2 cats. They were barn kittens when I got them, but they have been trained to stay in the house and are terrified to step out the doorway.
3. How would you define self sufficiency?

To me, self-sufficiency is being able to take care of you and your family without "needing" to rely on outside sources - be it stores, government, or something else that you do not have direct control over.
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
I have enough activities already to eat up all my spare time. lol!

Sorry, my computer is acting up. I will need to come back to this later...

5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
8 Cloth or paper?
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
30. What was your MOS?
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
37. In what do you trust?
38. Do you make things yourself to save money?
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WE will try again...

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
I would like to raise grass-fed beef, lamb and pork and donate it to the local food pantry. But I would also like to travel. I really want to go to Ireland, Wales, Norway, Sweden, New Zealand and Australia. I will be settling for Wisconsin, Missouri and all states in between for this summer.

5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?
I helped build a 4x8 insulated doghouse when we moved to Wyoming, does that count? I did help finish our basement and so some remodeling in our first home. We are going to build a greenhouse this summer. DH learned the trades from pro's when he was in highschool; his fathers friends were master plumbers, electricians, carpenters and he was the free labor when he built his garage.

6 . Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
NO, but DH can. He took a class at the local Tech College. when he showed up for the first class two of his friends were taking it also. It was totally unplanned.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
My mom. She gardened, cooked and canned. She made us our "special" clothes - I remember a pair of burgundy bellbottom pants that she made for me as play pants. Each of us girls got to pick the fabric and she made them for us. She loved to sew and we all learned how to make doll clothes. She knit, crocheted, and tatted. We always had craft projects on rainy days.

8 Cloth or paper?
Both. I even take plastic on occasion. They all have their uses. For instance, I like to use the paper bags for making cookies and ripening pears. I have a really nice set of cloth bags that I regularly use.

9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
I garden, hunt and fish, and I know how to butcher my own game. I am getting into canning and have a pressure canner given to me by a friend. I am going to build a greenhouse next summer and am looking into getting livestock of some sort. I want to learn as much about passive solar and put it into use around this place.

10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
I refuse to give up store-bought toiletpaper.

We have some stored foods. we found a heck of a good deal on wheat a couple of years ago and stocked up. We use the dehydrated stuff for camping so we will always keep it on hand. WHEN the price is right, we stock up.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One more comment on the "stocking up" - we use this stuff. I would like to keep enough on hand for if we need it, but it does me no good if I don't know how to use it. I grind wheat for bread, haven't perfected the recipe yet, I still add all-purpose flour to make it more appealing.

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Physically, I am curled up on a chair or couch in front of the fire. Mentally, I am wherever my book takes me.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I drive our Kuboda tractor all the time. Used it last winter to clear snow while the husband was living 3 states away. I can also drive the truck with a trailer, back a boat down the boat launch, and park the camper in the campsite.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I love to do crafts, it is a great way to relieve stress. I like to draw, paint, quilt, sew and tat.

15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
We have 25 acres zoned AG. No animals yet, but hopefully in the future. chicks in spring for sure.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
I have never used one, but I would love to learn.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I like to garden. It is so peaceful to dig in the warm dirt. I always grow peas, tomatoes, and spinach. I also grow carrots, pumpkins, beans, corn, bok choy, and herbs.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
I love to fish. So far mostly bluegill and bass are my favorite. I like to fly fish, but not real fond of trout.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
25 acre farmstead with a huge barn.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?

21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
No specialty, just a jack of all trades.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
I need to take a class in butchering my own animals. Rabbits and chickens I can do, but I would like to be able to butcher my own beef, pork and lamb.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
Just rough carpentry. Once we get the woodshop set up, I will get into it further. We have big plans for kitchens. Yes, plural. DH is talking about putting a canning kitchen in the basement.

24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
Yes, I am starting to dabble.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
So far, it seems we have found our paradise. Only lived here for 3 months.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
We heated with 2 woodstoves for 6 years in Wyoming. We installed a pellet insert in this place. The land we bought is pasture and farm field. DH is planning on this being our forever home and doesn't want to be stuck cutting, splitting, stacking for the rest of our lives.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a picture from the other day ...

BIG BARN!
IMG_3732.JPG

Latest posts