wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The Gems are enjoying the entire stall area now. They go into the brooder to sleep, but seem to be out in the stall all day.

This bunch is determined to get fresh water twice a day. They are emptying the 1 gallon waterer in the 10 hours that I am at work, then emptying it again in the 3 hours between when I refill after work and they go to bed. I checked and it does not have a leak. I hung it by a chain to raise it off the floor since they are so intent on scratching through the bedding that they are filling the water with bedding and poop.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This past spring, we raised 40 Cornish Cross. I had 3 one gallon water jugs and we filled them 3 times a day!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I figured out the water issue. I must have hung the waterer too high for them to drink comfortably - there were a couple of birds that were lifting their foot onto the edge of the waterer and dumping the water out! :somad
I now have it sitting on a plastic tote so they can't fill it with bedding. Somehow they are still getting bedding in it, but not much and I clean it out after work. What stinkers!

One of the Easter Egger's has decided to sleep on the window sill - all by herself. I guess I will need to make them a high roost in there so she doesn't poop all over the window ledge. It will be good to train them to get up on a roost for when they move in with the other flock anyway.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pulled out my "Cooking with Home Storage " cookbook and made garlic chive biscuits to go with Chicken stew last night. I am going to make up a "mega" batch of baking mix and vacuum seal into small bags. It uses dehydrated milk, dehydrated eggs and shortening powder; the eggs and shortening are staples that I have had in my storage for over 10 years and need to use up. The dry milk is also a year old and nearing its use by date. It will be nice to have handy for the winter months. Biscuits with stew, add garlic and cheese for a side with shrimp, add chives and roasted garlic for Chicken Stew. I like that they will be so easy to make now - just add 1 cup of water, stir until moistened, and bake 10 minutes - maybe 12, those from last night were just a touch under baked.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I often make master mix for biscuits and pancakes/waffles. It's very easy to just change it up a bit. Use some of the master mix as a base for a quick bread. Instead of messing with shortening, I usually just add a glug of vegetable oil. Of course, when you make your own, you can improve the end product. I usually add a 6 grain flour, as well as corn meal which is ground so fine, you might as well call it flour. You could also buzz some oatmeal in a blender to give the oaty flavor, or add ground flax seed for more of a nutty flavor. I generally don't use dry milk. We buy milk by the gallon for just the 2 of us, so... I often freeze some to keep it from going bad. Used to use dry milk powder all the time.