wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My worry was that his crow would be so loud that DH would hear it in his office. Since he has to work from home probably until April or later, it would be "not cool" to have a rooster crowing in the background during his video conferences for work.
DH said he couldn't hear any crowing.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH says he can hear the rooster crow, but it is not loud enough to hear on the video conference calls.

I lost another one of the Sapphire gems - i found her dead in the bottom nesting box. The Gems have never really p) used the roost, preferring to sleep in the nest boxes. At -12.0*F (ambient outside air temp), I think she may have froze to death in her sleep. She was fine the night before, actually nocking the rooster off on of her flock mates, lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would sooner think that she died of a heart attack. If you are loosing a higher percentage of the SG's, I'm guessing they have congenital weakness. Should have been warmer in the nest box than on the perch.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The nest box that she was in was down on the floor of the coop, huddled into a corner with her head turned back and tucked under her wing. Hot air rises, so the roost should be a bit warmer than the nest box, especially with all the other birds up there to snuggle up to. I have a piece of plywood up to protect the roost from any drafts.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My worry was that his crow would be so loud that DH would hear it in his office. Since he has to work from home probably until April or later, it would be "not cool" to have a rooster crowing in the background during his video conferences for work.
DH said he couldn't hear any crowing.
Happened to me when I had like 14 roosters running all over the place. My boss thought it was pretty funny.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now that the COLD, sub-zero temps are past the chickens are starting to lay again. It is not going to be long before we are over-run with eggs.
I brought in 8 eggs yesterday, 7 of them were the little pullet eggs. My new EE is laying the same green color egg that the Sapphire Gem EE lays, only smaller. I am sure those eggs will get to full size soon and I will not be able to tell the difference.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
After 3 weeks of temperary layoff, I am now officially unemployed. Hopefully the phone interview I had on Wednesday pans out and I get a call saying they want to hire me. Fingers crossed.

The company I worked for laid off everyone in our group. I really feel bad for one person in our group, his wife was let go from her job about 3 months ago, and now he is unemployed also. They have 3 kids. I wish him luck in finding a job quickly.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So very sad for so many people. Our country is in a world of hurt, and more hurt being heaped upon us with every passing month. I wish you the best in your job search. I hope the right job lands in your lap.

Latest posts