wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Perhaps you go into the interview with the wrong attitude. Instead of turning yourself inside out to please the interviewer, you should interview HIM or HER! Find out if the job is a good fit for you. Then, be prepared to let them know what unique skills you bring to the job. You are a unique package. You have work ethic. You have a life time of skills, including management. No one takes care of a homestead or family w/o gaining management skills! The interview is as much about answering your questions as it is about the interviewer answering their questions. The only thing I'd leave off the table until offered the job is $$$ and vacation time. Then, follow up after the interview with a nice letter thanking them for the time they took to interview and answer your questions. The letter is the time to pour on the syrup! Good luck, and feel free to turn down a crappy job. You are more important than that!!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Edit function is not playing nice. An other thing often overlooked is: dress for the job. Perhaps kick it up just a notch above the dress code expectations of the job, BUT, never dress better than you think your manager might dress!!!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My outfit was about the same level of dressiness as the interviewer - except I didn't wear 3" heels, lol.
Interview went well, I did ask some good questions about the job and the company. I walked out every excited but am cooling off about the job pretty quick.
Hard to accept a position that pays less than my last job, but would have been a promotion at the other company. Plus, they offer less vacation time than the last place, which I thought was not enough anyway.
More responsibility, lots more stress for less pay and less vacay. Getting hard to say yes...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The broiler chicks came in at 11:30 am. Had to run to town and pick them up. Didn't have time to get the brooder all set up like I wanted, so I threw together a quick, temp brooder in a plastic bin. They have warmth, food and water - they are happy little chicks.
Since I will have a couple of days now before I have to move the chicks, I will take the time to renovate the old brooder to how I want it. I will post pick when it is done. I think it will work so much better!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nuggets are now in the brooder and loving it! They are so active - and messy.
Didn't get the brooder completely renovated, but enough for them to be in there. The plastic bin was just not big enough for 20 active chicks.

Official count is 21 chicks.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They all look to be broilers, which is great. Layer chicks are at a great disadvantage when growing up with broilers, lol. I did that once - never again.
I ordered straight run, so I think I have a majority of pullets. There are a couple of males in there if @CrealCritter was right about his sexing technique.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They all look to be broilers, which is great. Layer chicks are at a great disadvantage when growing up with broilers, lol. I did that once - never again.
I ordered straight run, so I think I have a majority of pullets. There are a couple of males in there if @CrealCritter was right about his sexing technique.

extra roos are crock-a-doodle-do. :) make good soup. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All the chicks are heading to freezer camp - they are Jumbo Broilers. Its just that it is said that the females tend to be a little smaller than the males. One of the friends we are doing this with want as big of birds as he can get, so I am sure he will want me to do all males next time if that is true, lol.

If my rooster doesn't calm back down, he is going to be going to my parents for Crock-a-Noodle-Do! My Dad loves him some Chicken-N-Dumplings and wants the older birds that have more flavor.