Yee haw. Y'all check out my $12 greenhouse. :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I totally did it. Y'all thought I was kidding when I said I was going to plant some winter greens, dintcha? Well, I done gone & did it. Oh, if you see any huge mistakes (that can actually be corrected at this point and will save my crops) you can point them out. (If it won't help, or it's too late, don't bother. I will learn from my experience.)

http://www.hallslittlefarm.com/

There it is, the most recent entry on the first page. I'm very proud of this masterpiece. It is, as far as I know, an original design. :lol:

Cassandra

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how it works out! Definetly keep us updated!
How cold does it get where you live?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, last week, we had snow (a rare event.) This week, it's back up into the 70's during the day, 50's at night. I could always put in some bottles of hot water and throw a blanket on top if it acted like it was going to freeze, don't you think? (that was my plan, anyway)

Cassandra

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Well, last week, we had snow (a rare event.) This week, it's back up into the 70's during the day, 50's at night. I could always put in some bottles of hot water and throw a blanket on top if it acted like it was going to freeze, don't you think? (that was my plan, anyway)

Cassandra
That sounds like a really good idea!

It is FREEZING here so that would not be very practical here. Have you thought about making a wooden box and putting it down in the ground...since your ground does not freeze...and then putting a large glass window on top or would that not stay warm enough?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Cassandra said:

Cassandra

It is FREEZING here so that would not be very practical here. Have you thought about making a wooden box and putting it down in the ground...since your ground does not freeze...and then putting a large glass window on top or would that not stay warm enough?
I have thought of that! I even have some wood and a broken storm door with two pieces of glass in it I could use as tops for cold frames.

John doesn't like me messing with his power tools, tho. (long story) That proved to be quite an obstacle. LOL I haven't given up on the idea, though. One of these years... I've got the perfect place for them, too, against our west facing brick wall. I bet those bricks absorb a lot of heat during the day.

Cassandra

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
PamsPride said:
Cassandra said:

Cassandra

I have thought of that! I even have some wood and a broken storm door with two pieces of glass in it I could use as tops for cold frames.

John doesn't like me messing with his power tools, tho. (long story) That proved to be quite an obstacle. LOL I haven't given up on the idea, though. One of these years... I've got the perfect place for them, too, against our west facing brick wall. I bet those bricks absorb a lot of heat during the day.

Cassandra
That sounds really good and it sounds a lot sturdier! I would love to see pictures if you can talk John into making it for you!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Cassandra! Innovative and definitely qualifies for redneck rigging.....but I love it! I read about folks doing a complete garden in soil bags as a way to improve their poor soil, so why not this?

I once saw a plan to make a greenhouse from an old retired swingset and I've always wanted one. A greenhouse is on my list of things in the future for my little homestead.

Bravo on ingenuity!!! :clap

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
really cool
you are very smart ---ya know every kind of little old coldframe is invented and works for some people...your might do well...I hope so!

BUT

cold weather under the table....hmmm...best to keep the soil warm underneath. So maybe buy one of those seedling warming pads...they are not that expensive, plug in and put under your soil bags....that way you keep it on low at night and they stay warm at very little expense.

just an idea......

can't wait to hear how it goes for you!!! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You could stack some hay or straw bales under that table and then use them for mulching in the spring. Keep your soil insulated and provide some mulch at the same time...worth a try!