Yee haw. Y'all check out my $12 greenhouse. :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Noted! I will see what I can find. I have not yet been able to find a local supplier of straw (isn't that weird?) I can find hay easy, but never straw. I will look.

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee
when you use the hay as a mulch....don't you end up with weed sprouting after? I always did. I never use hay as a mulch in a garden. I am FOREVER trying to fight weeds, lol, sure don't want to add them back in.

don't you have this problem????

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Could I use hay for chicken litter? Or just throw it down in their run to scratch around in? Seems like I have read that it has a tendency to mold, I could be wrong.

Or what about use it in the hay for spring chicks? It doesn't hurt them, does it? Seems like I ought to be able to find a place to use hay!

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I mulched with some pretty decomposed mulch hay but have used fresh hay before also. If you mulch heavily enough, no weeds can get through.

I am using hay for coop bedding right now and its wonderful! Sweet and green and fluffy. If you aren't careful it can form a "cap" and get moldy but I've figured out a solution to that already. I just toss a few handfuls of shelled corn into the bedding and the chickens turn the bedding for me! If I don't find it satisfactory, when I go collect eggs, I just use my pitchfork and fluff the areas under the roosts. So far, no wet bedding noted and its been down since the beginning of Oct. On really cold, rainy days I've seen the chickens snuggled down in this fluffy bedding, just resting. I would expect the combination of hay and feces forms a pretty warm bed!

I plan to use this bedding for some trench fertilizing in my garden.

DaMommaBean

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just happen to have a old wooden swing in the back yard. My dear hubby keeps trying to put it on the burn pile. Of course, I keep telling him I am going to something "really cool" with it. Now, I know what! Thanks what an awesome idea!!!! Like everyone else in America, my hubby (only household income) got his pay cut. I have always been a self sufficient at heart...Now, just more so than ever. Thanks!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welcome DaMommaBean
ugh on hubby getting the dreaded pay cut. I know!
yup, use anything you can again and again, and don't dump it in the burn pile til it is beyond use..LOL
COOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
DaMommaBean said:
I just happen to have a old wooden swing in the back yard. My dear hubby keeps trying to put it on the burn pile. Of course, I keep telling him I am going to something "really cool" with it. Now, I know what! Thanks what an awesome idea!!!! Like everyone else in America, my hubby (only household income) got his pay cut. I have always been a self sufficient at heart...Now, just more so than ever. Thanks!
:welcome Glad to help! Now....Dixie...see? We do have some info! :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Now that is a cool idea for a greenhouse! Much better than the one that I bought and put up...which was beautiful...until it completely collapsed this morning under snow/rain weight...looks like I have an idea what I'm going to do this spring though...thanks for the idea! I have the perfect table for it too:>)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That looks great. The greens will grow great. I did the "garden in a bag thing" a couple years back. the plants all did well and at the end of the season I mixed it into my regular beds. good luck.