Yee haw. Y'all check out my $12 greenhouse. :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
What a great post- I love it when so many people have such creative ideas. I love to have a store of ideas to tap.

Hmmmm............I'm going to keep an eye out for an old swingset too- I have some fiberglass panels just sitting around.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
An update. it has been one week. The greenhouse is still standing. I had to water the soil today. It got drier than I expected. Have a few little seedlings already!!! Two or three in each bag of soil.

It will get a test tomorrow. night time temps supposed to be twenty five F.

Cassandra

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
An update. it has been one week. The greenhouse is still standing. I had to water the soil today. It got drier than I expected. Have a few little seedlings already!!! Two or three in each bag of soil.

It will get a test tomorrow. night time temps supposed to be twenty five F.

Cassandra
Casandra - How did it go with the low temps? I love your creativity. I have a friend that grows her own greens all winter in a raised bed against her house, on the south side with a plastic tarp over it. It works great for her. We had 2 ice storms last year and it held up well. I love your idea, as we don't have a way to make a raised bed right now. I think I will try it myself next week or so.

I would love to know how it is going for you. Keep us posted!
Angela

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will do a full update tomorrow. Been planning on every Saturday if possible. But so far so good! I will post tomorrow with pics.

Cassandra

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
There ain't nuthin we can't do with a little duct tape is there???

I love it Cassandra...and if you let your chickens free range they won't eat all your stuff!

Lori

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I keep wanting to take pictures of it and I keep not doing it because we've been gone and the weather has been bad (don't want to stand out in the rain with my camera.) So, I will try to describe it. LOL

It's been going for a few weeks now, right? We have had one good spell of freezing weather. It is warmer now. It is still standing. On particularly windy days, I have to go tuck the sides back in, but that hasn't been a problem.

In the meantime I have read somewhere that you can just scatter lettuce seeds and let them grow all crowded together and when the leaves of one plant are touching the leaves of another, it is time to thin/harvest them. So, I opened it up and put a BUNCH more lettuce seeds on the lettuce beds. They are beginning to sprout. It's very exciting! They are about two inches tall and only have one pair of leaves. I am watching to see if they make it.

Some of the original seeds sprouted, some did not. All in all, I think it is doing well so far.

Cassandra

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cass, depending on what type of lettuce you plant, I plant those loose leaf types. I used the bag mulch method and just spread them all around. Then when they were aobut 3 to 4 inches I cut them off and put right in a salad bowl. The roots will grow right back into new greens. It's the never ending salad.