Yes, it's true. I took my meaties to the processor.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never butchered...probably never will...took ours to a Amish farmer near us . They used to be $2.50 a bird but they go up a quarter a year. $3 this year. Best $3 we ever spent. Do great work. Very pleased. The only downside is you correspond by mail. They do them when they are ready. Works out for us

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
miss_thenorth said:
Ok, first I'm gonna say--don't judge me ;)

let me explain. We have butchered deer, rabbit, quail, duck, lamb, moose turkey, bear. and many many extra roos and hens.

And we had absolutely every intention of doing those franken birds our selves. (every other year we had taken them in, but this year, we were gonna do them ourselves.) We did 5 of them. After those 5, my hubby looks at me and says. how much does it cost to send these buggers away? Every bird had ripped skin, pluckiing by hand was a chore (I could use another word but I won't), the plucker ripped their skin. the ligaments of their wing joints had separated for no acceptable reason we could think of.

Let me repeat that we have done many an extra roo, and many spent hens. But dh was saying, If I worked for as long as it took 'us' to do these birds, i would have made over $300. he was not having fun. he says he has no ploblem doing any other animal, but he was willing to pay to have these guys done. Each bird cost $2.90, so 20 more birds cost me about $60. And they are now in my freezer, with no rips in their skin, and their wings intact.

And i do not feel guilty.

:D
:D
No guilt needed!

I would like to try and give you a bit of explanation for some of the problems that you had however. I have been butchering my own "Frankenbirds" for quite a while now and I too have experienced some of the same problems that you did.

The biggest difference in butchering those Cornish Rocks and other birds is AGE. The cull hens and spare roosters are all quite a bit older when they are big enough to eat. When I butcher my Cornish at 45 days old they are basically still chicks.

The ligaments and tendons, in their wings especially, are much looser and more easily torn than those in a 4 month old bird. I have had birds break their wings while flopping after they are killed. My solution to this is to place them on their back in a 5 gallon bucket immediately after they are killed which contains the flopping enough to protect their wings. A killing cone would eliminate this problem as well.

Their skin is also much thinner, due to their age. This is why you were getting rips in the skin. I have not used a plucker, but I find the best thing is to keep the scald water at a uniform 160 degrees temperature. At this temp a quick dip and swish no more that 45 seconds and then I test by pulling a wing feather. If this comes out easily the scald is done.

Too hot of water (even 5 degrees) and the thin skin will actually start to COOK. Then it will really just tear away when you try to pull feathers.

I usually can rough pluck a bird (not counting pinfeathers) in about 30 - 40 seconds. It takes me much longer with a "normal" chicken, because regular chickens have more feathers to begin with. The Cornish Rocks are loose feathered and sparsely feathered by comparison.

I only mention these things to possibly help others. Around here like other places there is NO professional butchering option. We have a custom butcher shop, but they will not process any poultry at all.. only beef, pork, goats, sheep and deer in season.

The other thing to consider is the bottom line. My 29 Cornish Rocks cost me a total of $125.59 this time. This includes all of their feed, bedding and the original cost of each bird from Welps hatchery. I still have 8 birds to clean tomorrow, so I don't have final weights, but with current figures they are costing me about $1.19 per pound. If I added an additional $2.90 per bird to the cost it would raise my per pound to about $1.95 per pound.

Now THAT price is still quite worth it for the quality of meat that we end up with - especially considering that organic free range chicken is selling for around $4.00 a POUND!

It is just another factor to consider. BTW We have had birds commercially processed before when we had a place to take them. ;)
Those are the exact conclusions I came to Young skin=tears easily. and that's what I figured with the wings.

However, we we always be taking them to the abbattior from now on. the rest of the animals, I can do at home.

I just wanted to mention too, that their crops were soo full of grass it was unbelievable. This was the absolute best batch of freerangers we've ever done. And we have freeranged all of our meaties.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We took our meaties to the processor last time basically because there were too many and too little time to do them all. Costs about 2 bucks per bird but they're a good hour drive from here. But THIS year we had a little lady come over and take some of our extra roos and I swear it wasn't even an hour later and she'd brought three of them dead, cleaned and plucked back to us. So yeah, we're going to offer her some of our chickens to help us do the processing. This woman actually likes the job and is FAST.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's just what I was thinking. Someone skilled and local, but I really need to learn. I think I will just tough it out.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is just impossible to find anyone to do the job in these parts. The problem around here is that everyone is afraid of liability issues!

What if someone gets sick from the chicken and sues!!!

I swear the lawyers have ruined our world. :rant

On a happier note... isn't it nice to have fresh chickens will crops full of GRASS instead of chemicals! :D I bet they will taste delish! :drool

I finished our last 8 last night. They were 59 days old and weighed 6 1/2 pounds +/- each and fat, fat, fat! I am packaging them as intact half chickens. We like them this way for grilling. It is easy to add another half if you are feeding more people, like when the kids come to dinner. :)

Hubby is home today and promised to have the grill coals ready when I get home. We are going to fire one up for dinner. :drool The one we are eating is basically a freezer reject. She was attacked by a possum last week and was about 3/4 bald, which resulted in sunburn, and still has scrapes and bruises. The damage is only skin deep, but we will eat her first for quality control in the freezer.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
No guilt!! We have 135 to do this Sat, so I completely understand the instinct to send them away :) Our last quote for processing was $3.75/bird, which would cut into our profit margins quite hugely. So, I will be envying you Saturday...:p

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
If we weren't so broke/cheap we'd send ours away in a heartbeat!!! A lady near us does them for $2.50 each. We've got 55 birds to do on Saturday, and I just can't justify spending $137.50 in addition to what we've already put into them. We did the last batch at our house, but we'll be doing these at a friend's house. He's got a much nicer set up and a tub-style plucker which will be worth the hour drive to his house!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Each bird cost $2.90, so 20 more birds cost me about $60.
Wow, I never imagined it could be done so cheaply! I expected it would cost more than that. Hmmm.
Don't tell my DH or he'll be all over it! He dreads butchering day! :lol:

I could definitely see taking it to the Amish. We live near the border of SW Ohio and they are nearby. We purchase firewood from them every so often and they run the best deal around on split, seasoned hardwood. I can't imagine them doing a poor job on anything they set their hand to do.

Now the butcher down the road, that I wouldn't do. My BIL worked there one summer and I've heard too many stories...

The thing I hate most about butchering my own Cornish X is that they always have a lot of gunk glued to their bellies where they lie around all the time and it's so hard to scrub that off of there. I usually get fed up and just cut away the skin from that area.
:sick

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
No guilt!! We have 135 to do this Sat
How do you do that many all in one day? After 6 my back hurts so bad I don't want to do anymore!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
me&thegals said:
No guilt!! We have 135 to do this Sat
How do you do that many all in one day? After 6 my back hurts so bad I don't want to do anymore!
Wow, I missed that!!! She runs a CSA, so hopefully she had lots of ppl to help her.