Yes, it's true. I took my meaties to the processor.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
$2.90? Where? I'm all over that!!! :lol: Wish I could find something like that here!
I can't get it done that cheep either, but still for the time it would take me to do them myself (days if I do my usual batch of 200 for us and other family), if I pick up one extra day at work instead I have the cash to spend, I'm not sore and frustrated and the birds look better.

So I totally agree with your hubby. The only thing I hate is that with the new rules here the cold soak water has to have bleach in it at commercial abattoirs. :sick

Some of them will 'forget' to add the bleach when it's your own birds just for you. But if they are putting their sticker on them so you can sell them they insist.

I hate being back to transporting distance to process though, I used to be able to hire help that showed up to the birds.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Whaaaaat?!?!?! Never heard anything about bleach?!?!? I'm making a 'nother phone call. Would they have been obligated to tell me?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
me&thegals said:
No guilt!! We have 135 to do this Sat
How do you do that many all in one day? After 6 my back hurts so bad I don't want to do anymore!
Mee too! The TOPS I ever butcher at a time is a dozen. Usually I keep it down to 4 or 6. Since I have my "new" double washtub setup, where I can sit down I don't have that bad back ache when I am finished.
1378_clean_turkeys_setup2.jpg