Yet another goat question....milk and udders

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, he is only three days old, so I hope there is time for my learning curve! I just milked the swollen side that he wasn't touching, then this morning I noticed that I was milking out more than he was, so I took a bit from "his side" to stimulate more milk. I took a quart from the one side the first time, then a pint each time. He may be drinking from that side, because it wasn't so lopsided this morning. So I took a pint, mostly from "my side" and then a little from "his side."

Interestingly, his side was easier to get milk from. Is this typical?

I used a quart-size glass-lid canning jar to milk in this morning, and it worked out much better than the little pail I was using. No hay or hair fell into the milk, I could control it better in spite of Mya moving around.

I wasn't planning on getting my milking stand built yet, but will have to work on that this weekend! I can't crouch that long anymore!

How long does the colostrum come in for? Can I start using the milk? And how long does it take for strong-tasting foods to impact or not impact the milk flavor (pine trees removed from stall last night)?

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can start drinking the milk now. The colostrum only last a day or two. I know people that drink the milk from day one. They say it cleans their colon out. The bad taste should be gone by tonight.

I milk in a stainless steel milking pail. Then I come in the house and strain it with a stainless steel into quart glass jars. The thing is getting it cool fast. I have a bucket of water in one of my refrigerators. I put the jars of milk in the bucket plus add some used yogurt cups with ice water to the bucket. That way my milk cools very fast.

I found a place to get good goat supply. The website is www.thegoatstore.com. I got their cheese making kit. I love having fresh cheeses.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Can I strain it with a coffee filter? I remember my mom used cloth, maybe layers of cheesecloth or gauze, in a colander over a bucket for the cow and over a bowl later with the goats, I think. Are you straining anything other than hay bits and such? Would my little fine wire mesh stainless steel tea strainer do the job?

Milk tonight and tomorrow, yogurt by the day after!!! :weee

I don't want to order a seamless stainless steel bucket right now when I have something that I can sterilize as easily, for the little amount I will be getting. Maybe later if I get more serious about it. I figure I can use a stainless steel pan, I have plenty of those, if I need a bigger size container. Right now, Mya moves around, so I have to hold the container with one hand and milk with the other, so the quart jar is very easy to manage.

Cooling is not an big issue right now....I just put the lid on the jar and set it in the snow until I finish my chores!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like you have things under control. I do use coffee filters. They work just fine for me. A quart jar will work just fine. They say you should use stainless steel or glass with milk, because they can be cleaned correctly. Let me know if you have any more questions. I am still learning myself, but I will try to help as best as I can.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, the pictures are gone! So I e-mailed the OP to see if she would send them to me.

I have access to some scrap wood that was used to build the new barn at the xmas tree farm next door. Just gotta get it before they burn it during maple syrup season. I did grab a few bigger pieces, just in case, a couple of 2x10's, about 3-4' long, and a few sturdy bits for legs and bracing. Will need the stanchion part, since this gleaned wood is rough-sawn.

It is so much fun to get creative and see how much you can do for the least $ possible. It is amazing what is tossed in the trash, free for the asking! Or re-purposing your own trash in a creative way, too.

As for the glass/stainless, yeah, that's what I figured, getting it clean and sterile. So easy with canning jars and pans! I just have to be extra careful not to slip on all the ice we have this year!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I hope she can show you the pics....she made a milking table out of an old wooden bedstead. The sides were the spindled headboard and footboard....it was darling! Quaint and functional....my two favorite things in a piece of equipment. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Just checked on Mya and baby. She has one side of her udder VERY full, poor girl. Junior doesn't need a fraction of what she has in there, and he seems to favor one side.

I milked about 1/2 cup from the other side before she got annoyed with my fumbling.....I didn't tie her up, either. Wasn't sure how much to take, I could just see that she had too much and it didn't look comforable.

I tried to get Jr interested in the other side, but he couldn't figure it out and gave up. Probably wouldn't be an issue with multiple kids. She has quite the udder for a mostly Boer (I'm guessing.....) If so

Should I continue? If so, how much should I milk out? My original plan was to let the kid(s) nurse for two weeks, then do the Fiasco Farm method of once a day milking, then go to twice a day when I wean in two months. Of course, my plan also called for two doelings!!!

What would you do?
I never milk down the other side. Even with one baby as it gets older it will knock down both sides. I have never had trouble with "doing nothing" in over 10 years of kidding... cause honestly in nature nothing is different. Just leave nature to its own and let the kid and momma do its thing.

When the kid depletes the one side, it naturally goes to the other. If you deplete the other side, it has no back up food. Best not to be involved...that kid knows how to work that udder!!! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the experienced feedback, FK!!! Much appreciated.

Here are my current thoughts.....subject to change every five minutes or so, I warn you.....I think that she will produce according to demand, and will adjust accordingly....but she is my only milk-producer, and unless you really, really think I shouldn't, I am settling into the idea of sharing with the baby and not milking her out, just taking the pressure off and creating demand that will have her producing more than for just one kid by the time he is weaned.

This way I can also learn and build my skills with less pressure to "get it completely right" and also start learning how to deal with milk, even if it is just a quart a day for now. I have two in the fridge, and just bought some plain Greek yogurt to innoculate it with, so it will be my first batch of yogurt by tomorrow!

I am watching closely, and by no means am I milking her out.

Does that sound ok? I value all opinions! ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sebrightmom said:
Sounds like you have things under control. I do use coffee filters. They work just fine for me. A quart jar will work just fine. They say you should use stainless steel or glass with milk, because they can be cleaned correctly. Let me know if you have any more questions. I am still learning myself, but I will try to help as best as I can.
The coffee filter slowed down to a drip within one cup of milk. I read about a cotton ball in a funnel, so will try that.

Anyone know if I can just use a fine-mesh tea strainer, stainless steel? That is QUICK!