Yogurt is runny...

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I made my first batch of yogurt using the crockpot method and store bought whole milk, and I used chobani Greek yogurt for the starter. Heated the milk for 2 1/2 hours on warm, took a cup of the hot milk (did the finger test, held it in for 10 seconds) mixed it with a cup of yogurt till smooth, added it back to the pot, turned it off and wrapped it in a bath towel and let it sit for about 12 hrs. When I checked it this morning, it was very runny/milky on top and kind of stringy? Not sure that's the right word to describe it. It's much thicker on the bottom of the crock pot...what happened? I transferred it to glass bowl and refridgerated any way, but when I last checked, it's still runny, not set at all. :(

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a different method, but I have had this problem too - and never did figure out the problem. Some batches are better than others. There are a few threads on here about yogurt, easy to find if you do a search.
Keep trying, and you can use the reject yogurt for cooking - it's good in pancakes or anything that calls for milk or buttermilk.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well it defnatly won't go to waste, i've been giving my dog yogurt (hence the reason I finally tried making it, gettin expensive!) cause she's on antibiotics for lymes. Hmmm, might try straining it a bit later to see if it gets thicker...

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Draining it through a dishtowel is how I fixed my runny batch. Then experimented by adding powdered milk, and that was expensive. Then I upped the starter from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup, but you are already at one cup!

But if you are making it for the dog, and he doesn't care about texture, you are golden!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd give the runny stuff to the dog, if it tastes right. He won't mind if it's runny. Then make a new batch for you :D
But yes, straining it makes it much thicker.

Why did you heat it for 2-1/2 hours? Just curious. I just bring mine up to 100 or so, pretty quickly on top of the stove.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone else does, but I like the fact that it keeps the milk at an even temp and I don't have to do a lot of fussing. (My definition of fussing is pretty broad !!!)

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a thread on here, I think, for crockpot yogurt and that's what it said to do :idunno like I said, my first batch so I'm a super newb! What your way of doing it?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I've never tried the crockpot recipe- I make mine on the stove, with 2% milk and adding about a cup of powdered milk, scalding the milk first (170 degrees), cooling it to 100, adding 1/2 store bought yogurt. Then I incubate it in a cooler that I heated by filling it with hot water to warm up, then dump out. I keep it warm with a jar of hot water in the cooler (like a reverse ice pack :lol:) that I re-warm every once in awhile. I haven't ever had it come out runny.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make mine almost the same way as valmom, without filling the cooler with hot water - waste of water IMO, a quart jar with very hot water heats the the cooler sufficiently. I find that heating the milk initially on the stove to even hotter than usually recommended (190* instead of 170* or 180*), and then letting it cool to about 120* before adding the starter gives the best results for me. I don't know why that extra 10* should make a difference, but I have had only one or two failures doing this, and rather more when I don't bring it to that heat, with everything else the same.
(Rereading valmom's method maybe I should add that I use whole milk now - used to use 2% - and don't add the dry milk)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I fill my cooler with boiling water from the canning pot- I boil my jars before I put the yogurt in them like I was canning. So, instead of dumping the hot water down the drain, I pour some into the cooler to warm it.

Latest posts