Yogurt is runny...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
valmom said:
I fill my cooler with boiling water from the canning pot- I boil my jars before I put the yogurt in them like I was canning. So, instead of dumping the hot water down the drain, I pour some into the cooler to warm it.
:hugs That makes sense! Sorry, I wasn't trying to put you down for doing that, just saying that I don't; I was living in drought stricken California when I started making yogurt. As I am the only homemade yogurt eater in the house (DH won't touch it) I don't make more than a quart at a time, and don't feel a need to sterilize the jars, but, as you do, that is a great way to use the hot water. I have used that hot water (from WBC) to eradicate weeds in the cracks on my patio :D

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I know what happened; I used a Greek style yogurt for the starter. It has cornstarch in it to give it that consistancy. I did not know that...that's why I like it, the thickness. Dangit! Well, live and learn I guess. So the dogs and chickens have finished that last batch and now I'm ready to try again, wish me luck!!