Yogurt making without a yogurt maker

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Alrighty, so I think I did everything just right and I'm having no luck at all coaxing milk to magically transform overnight into yogurt. I'm following the instructions in the book, "The Backyard Homestead" which say to heat up milk that has NOT been ultra-pasteruized to 100 degrees, stir in three tablespoons of purchased yogurt with live and active cultures and then simply put it into a warm (100 degree oven) for 6-10 hours. Done. No dice.

Any tips?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I used Marianne's crock pot yogurt method and it worked, maybe if you PM her she will send it to you. However I did just buy a yogurt maker when I found one at the Goodwill, it comes with nice little containers that the yogurt goes into and we found it awkward to store the big crock pot full of yogurt. My yogurt (from goat milk) was more like a liquid drink than the jello-like yogurt you get at the store, but I'm sure mine is more nutritious.

I'm interested in what everyone has to say on your thread!

:pop

You could also put "help Marianne" in your title of the thread because I know she has the answer to this question for you.

ctg492

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am now making yogurt three days a week, no maker. I heat 4 cups milk to just below boiling point. I do not even use a thermometer any longer. While this is on the stove I stir 2 Tbs yogurt (saved from last batch) with 2 Tbs milk and set it on the counter to reach room temp. I remove the milk when heated from pot and pour it into a plastic container and let it cool to 105-110 degrees, I use the thermometer for this step. Then when it reaches the correct temp, from the side of the container I gently pour the milk/yogurt mixture in, not stirring. I set the container in the oven or microwave to keep it from drafts and warm. 8 hours later I set the container in the fridge, usually over night. Then in the morning I strain it over coffee filters in a stainer in the fridge a couple hours and poof I have yummy thick yogurt.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to be 110 degrees. Maybe the temperature is the issue. I use the cooler method.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The milk needs to be in the range of 110*-125* when the culture is stirred in - though I imagine that 100* would work - but not hotter, as that will kill the bacteria. For storebought milk I heat it to 190* or so (scalding; little bubbles form around the edge), and then cool it down to the correct temperature. I know that some people here don't heat their raw milk that high to begin with, but - lacking raw - I always do. I have found that I have the best success when I heat it a little higher than recommended (recipes say 185*, I heat to 190*). I also check it after 4 or 5 hours; sometimes it is already set, sometimes not. If not, I check again every hour or so. I have had totally unco-operative yogurt that would not set, but I left it in the picnic cooler (where I incubate it) overnight, and had lovely yogurt the next morning.
But I have also found that sometimes the stars are not aligned right, and I cannot get firm yogurt no matter what I do :idunno

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I use the crockpot method, or, if I am making lots of yogurt, I pack the jars in a cooler with a couple of wool blankets.

FYI, you can get yogurt cultures for raw milk that is kept at room temp. No heating involved.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I so appreciate all the advice. It always sounded like yogurt-making was almost foolproof, so it makes me feel better to hear so many methods in use, but best of all, the admission that sometimes nothing works. :) It's not just me!!!

I will give it a try at a higher temp to start with, as it is purchased milk. Also, do you think it could have made a difference that I used goat's milk to make the yogurt, but added chilled whole cow's milk yogurt as the starter?

Thanks all!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kristenm1975 said:
I so appreciate all the advice. It always sounded like yogurt-making was almost foolproof, so it makes me feel better to hear so many methods in use, but best of all, the admission that sometimes nothing works. :) It's not just me!!!

I will give it a try at a higher temp to start with, as it is purchased milk. Also, do you think it could have made a difference that I used goat's milk to make the yogurt, but added chilled whole cow's milk yogurt as the starter?

Thanks all!
Until you've got it working, try using a thermometer. HEAT the milk to 185-190degrees. COOL it down to between 100 - 115 (no higher and stir it to make sure it's consistent temperature with no hotspots). THEN add the yogurt starter (whatever kind your'e using). Set it in something that can keep it between 100 - 115 for 8-10 hours without spikes above 115.

The most likely suspect, when I've had things not work, is that you're overheating, or underheating. Overheating kills the yogurt critters, while underheating never really activates them. Hope this helps.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been making yogurt for about 7 years, never had a yogurt maker. I used to use a heating pad, but now I use a cooler (more energy efficient).

I heat my milk to 165. This is important, I think- all bacteria is dead at 165F. Less than that, you have bacteria that is competing with your cultures, over that is just overkill- you are wasting time and increasing the chance you will scorch your milk.

I have a very big metal bowl. I put a gallon of milk in it.

I have a very big pot. I fill it 3/4 up with water, and boil. When the lid rattles, I put my big bowl over the mouth of the pot. It's like a giant double boiler. It takes 15 minutes to heat up to 165.

I clean and fill my very big dishpan with cold water. When I reach my temp, I pull the bowl off the pot and put it in the dishpan. I set the timer for 7 minutes. At that time, I usually have to dump and refill with more cold water, then wait another 7 minutes. After 15 minutes in the dishpan, it's cooled to 110. I add my cultures (I use 4 TBS frozen yogurt and 1 packet culture for a gallon), whisk, and put in a gallon jar. Then I dump my hot pot water in the cooler, and add cool water (usually from the dishpan) until I hit 115. I put the jar in and leave it overnight.

Once it's done incubating, I strain it- floursack towel, damp, line big colander and put in very big bowl. Add some salt, stir, and let sit in fridge. Don't pour drained whey down your pipes. Nice thick Greek yogurt is the end result.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lots of ways to make yogurt! I finally got the system down for me - 3/4 gallon milk in my big, ancient slow cooker - on low for 5 hours, stirring once every hour. Turn off the heat, let it sit for two hours, stir in room temp yogurt from last batch, about 1/4 cup or so. Ladle into 3 qt jars, put in cooler that has the old heating pad on medium (everything is old around here). I have a pot holder on top of the heating pad. I cover the jars with a towel, rest the lid on top of the cooler. 4-1/2 to 6 hours later, it's yogurt.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/nchfp/factsheets/yogurt.html
This link has the basics of yogurt making with some additional info - longer initial heating time results in thicker yogurt, longer incubation time results in more twaaaang.

My favorite is just like Leta and others. I use a hankerchief that's designated to the kitchen to line my colander and drain some of the whey out for thick Greek yogurt. I also add a blop of honey or some sugar, a splash of homemade vanilla and chow down.