Yogurt taffy aka yogurt leather

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
From the excalibur site:

"Yogurt Leather: Yogurt, when dried, becomes vibrantly colored and has taffy like consistency. Follow your fruit dehydrators instructions for making yogurt and add flavorings like pureed fruit or peppermint extract. You can also use commercially prepared yogurt, but select the pre-stirred variety. The key to success with yogurt is to cut the rolled yogurt leathers into pieces and re-dry into individual bites for about an hour. The re-drying process after cutting helps seal the edges and prevent the pieces from sticking together in the storage container."

I'm going to try this with my kefir.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Here are some better instructions: Spread home made or store bought yogurt on a lightly sprayed Fruit roll sheet. Dry at 130 degrees for approximately 12 to 14 hours.

I'm sure kefir will take longer if you don't strain some of the whey out first.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I let my kefir drain all night and then I mixed it with some homemade blackberry jam. I set the temp at 90 degrees and turned my fan up to 100%. It has been about 7 hours and it is getting nice and leathery. I took a bit out and tasted it OMG YUM!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OMG, I need fruit roll sheets. :weee

Maybe I could do Saran like someone suggested. I have kefir coming out my ears right now. I need to make some cheese.

:clap

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ok all done with my kefir taffy. I kept turning off my dehydrator when I ran errands and overnight too b/c I'm paranoid of it burning down the house. So I can't tell you exactly how long it took.

As I mentioned I kept the heat down around 90 degrees so I wouldn't kill the good beasties. Yeah, it took a little bit longer, however, now I have nommy kefir-to-go bites and I don't have to worry about refrigeration etc. (Plus they taste like mini fruity-cheese-kolaches! SO GOOD!)

Latest posts