Yogurt taffy aka yogurt leather

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
so this reminds me I have to make kefir tonight. i have my grains in the fridge, I have way too many htings on the go right now, so the kefir had to go in the fridge before I forgot about it and ruined it.

I will make this by the end of the week. ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, :hide but what is kefir?
:gig :hugs Don't worry, I asked the same question about a year ago. Now I'm hooked. :p

As freemotion puts it: yogurt is Clark Kent but kefir is Superman!

I'll try to find you some threads. :)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Be greatly appreciated, BBH :D

But ... I don't LIKE yogurt! I've tried, really, truly, I have! Everything from plain no-nothing added yogurt to the chocolate flavored ones with all kinds of not-good-for-you stuff in them, to the Greek-style yogurt. I like the initial taste, but the aftertaste it leaves in my mouth - BLECH :tongue I have to immediately eat something else or drink something to get that horrible taste to go away! And I KNOW it's good for me, and I should be eating it regularly, but I just can't acquire that taste.

I've made sure my son eats and likes yogurt - he devoured (in 2, count 'em TWO, sittings) one of those big quart tubs of vanilla yogurt. He likes the Gogurt Tubes (I get him the Simply Gogurt - SO glad they came out with those :weee). But I can't make myself like yogurt. Is there any hope for me? :fl

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Remember that a lot (most) storebought yogurt is pasteurized, too! If you make your own yogurt and kefir, the taste is a lot different, likewise with the aftertaste, if any.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Be greatly appreciated, BBH :D

But ... I don't LIKE yogurt! I've tried, really, truly, I have! Everything from plain no-nothing added yogurt to the chocolate flavored ones with all kinds of not-good-for-you stuff in them, to the Greek-style yogurt. I like the initial taste, but the aftertaste it leaves in my mouth - BLECH :tongue I have to immediately eat something else or drink something to get that horrible taste to go away! And I KNOW it's good for me, and I should be eating it regularly, but I just can't acquire that taste.

I've made sure my son eats and likes yogurt - he devoured (in 2, count 'em TWO, sittings) one of those big quart tubs of vanilla yogurt. He likes the Gogurt Tubes (I get him the Simply Gogurt - SO glad they came out with those :weee). But I can't make myself like yogurt. Is there any hope for me? :fl
:hugs They say it takes a concerted 7 - 10 trys before the body can adjust to a different taste. That said though, I still cannot enjoy liver, even though it is very good for me. So I play with it. It gets hidden in foods, or simmered in bone broth overnight with the other organ meats.

You might want to try kefir, as its a bit different, plus I am guessing the above recipe will not leave the taste? :idunno

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Remember that a lot (most) storebought yogurt is pasteurized, too! If you make your own yogurt and kefir, the taste is a lot different, likewise with the aftertaste, if any.
Ever so true. They are so different from each other!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I cannot stand the taste of either yogurt or kefir, so I have to eat it hidden in other stuff. So fear not....it is so good for you, it is worth the extra effort. I make smoothies a lot and strain it and make dips and salad dressings. I use it as "sour cream" when I have nachos, and like it even better if I add some flavoring to it like onion and garlic powders, salt and pepper, maybe a smidge of parsley. Like onion dip.