Your Charities and Good Deeds

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What an interesting thread. About 2 years ago, I started a little nonprofit called the Dearborn County Girls Club. We provide after school activities for girls in the area of self-esteem building, decision-making, and character education. Last year, we did a month of activities on recycling - the girls loved it!! I'm also looking into financial education programs to add that to our curriculum; obviously a very important skill that teachers can't always get to with everything they have to cover for the tests. Anyway, it's a lot of fun, but it keeps me VERY busy! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
What an interesting thread. About 2 years ago, I started a little nonprofit called the Dearborn County Girls Club. We provide after school activities for girls in the area of self-esteem building, decision-making, and character education. Last year, we did a month of activities on recycling - the girls loved it!! I'm also looking into financial education programs to add that to our curriculum; obviously a very important skill that teachers can't always get to with everything they have to cover for the tests. Anyway, it's a lot of fun, but it keeps me VERY busy! :D
THAT sounds like a very worthwhile and much needed program. Man, do we need something like that in this area! Lots of drugs, teen pregnancies, etc. here and I think its because these girls grow up with no expectations, and nothing to do in these small mountain towns.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was a teacher out here for a bit, and I saw that some of these girls have NO guidance, and no one to show them there's another way. The boys are in pretty bad shape, too, but the last thing they need is another woman telling them what they need to do. ;)

BTW, anyone can start a nonprofit! It's a lot of work, but there's a lot of help out there navigating the paperwork. Just find some people who have the same mindset as you; something I didn't do until after I'd already started down the road. Would have been a lot easier if I got them on board from the start. :)

lengel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Janet&Jim said:
They are between,the receiver, myself and God.

"and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags "Isaiah 64:6
I appreciate what you're saying but there's also learning from others about the possibilities. Particularly now, we need to have as much information at our disposal as possible. I am happy to read about the efforts of others. Gets me thinking. :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
lengel said:
Janet&Jim said:

I appreciate what you're saying but there's also learning from others about the possibilities. Particularly now, we need to have as much information at our disposal as possible. I am happy to read about the efforts of others. Gets me thinking. :)
I don't think of it as bragging when someone asks if you do any charitable work or if you do good deeds to help other's out. In fact when someone inquires we may inspire other's to do something they never thought about doing before & that is spreading God's charity further down the road. JMO

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
lengel said:
Janet&Jim said:

I don't think of it as bragging when someone asks if you do any charitable work or if you do good deeds to help other's out. In fact when someone inquires we may inspire other's to do something they never thought about doing before & that is spreading God's charity further down the road. JMO
That's how I was looking at this too, ideas for other ways of giving, though I respect your choice not to share. :)
Our church is involved in with a charity in Haiti and I'm encouraging our son (6 yo) to donate half the money he gets from selling eggs to help the health clinic there.
This year I'm going to donate blood more often.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Does passing on things we don't use count? We send used baby items or kids clothes to the local community Women's Wellness Center, because they allow us to get things we need for our children from them. So we send back what we are no longer using for our kids so other families in the community can have access to them. Right down to infant beds!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sure does count cause that is "giving" back and better than hitting the landfill before its time!

I give anything I can to anyone I can...LOL...since I buy from goodwill I give back to goodwill. never want to waste something useable for someone else who might need it

even though, our goodwill prices have surely shot up! :(
but I understand they have expenses for their stores also...but hey, :(

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I give to the local goodwill but thats all I can now. Money is just too tight.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lots of terrific ideas here, and I'm amazed at how many of you have found a way to keep it local.

We try to give to the American Cancer Society every month, altho we don't always make that goal. I have personally had terrific assistance from the ACS, not financially but with an astoudingly kind mentor who helped me through the recovery from my first cancer surgery. The ACS has many programs, such as CanSurmount, that help cancer survivors and families with dealing with the illness and related issues. They are Golden in my book.

Now that we have a couple acres, we were able to plant a big garden. We gave our "extra" veggies to some local families who would never have accepted a hand-out, but who were willing to take our "extras" off our hands. When our chickens start laying better, we will have too many eggs and can share those, too.

I feel so blessed to be able to be on the giving end of the equation.