Your Chicken House

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the term is "processed..."
Ahem. I believe the correct term is "culled". :gig (I'm pretty sure I have seen this actual argument :lol:)

OK, silliness aside. I have 15 in an 8x8. They free range from sunup to sundown. Needs frequent cleaning under the roost, especially during winter, but it's more than enough room.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My coop is 27x7 one end is 7x7 enclosed, with a little pop door into the other section.
I have 6 guineas that sleep in the 7x7 part and in the 20x7 part sleep 13 chickens and 6 ducks.

They freerange all day as well.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
8x6, with 4 8' roosts and I have 24 chickens in that. Free range all day, rain or shine. They just head for cover if there is a predator or super heavy rain.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, I am such a rank amateur compared to ya'll. I only have 4 hens (just for eggs, I don't eat meat). They have a 6' x 8' coop with an attached 8' x 16' pen covered with hardware cloth. I had intended to free-range them in the fenced-in back yard but I'm deathly afraid of the hawks & feral cats around here. I feel bad they can't get out & run around much. :(

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's the wonderful chicken house (it's actually a chicken/turkey house) that Greg built for me. I'm telling you there are people who don't live this nicely. The house is 10 x 16 but remember that lots of roosting places will effectively double or even triple your space. We currently have 8 turkeys in this house and I plan to put my breeding Cochins in with them soon but with all the roosting area and the size of the run attached I feel confident that I can easily double the number of turkeys and go up to a dozen Cochins in this house.
DSCN0369.jpg

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine is 20 X 40 with a run the same size and it holds 80 chickens. They aren't crowded, but have wiped out all vegetation and I pull out grass to give them or haul it in from the grass catch on the lawnmower. I'm not letting them in the garden now because I have too much to do in there, so they are staying cooped. Therefore, I have to artificially give them what I think they are missing.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have a 15ft x 8ft wagon (you can see it here) and i've got 29 chickens in it at the moment (5 of those are soon heading to the freezer). they have plenty of room since they don't spend much time inside. their yard is 15ft x 20ft and the whole thing gets moved to fresh grass every week (or as soon as they eat the grass down). i think i could double the number of chickens in the coop and still be fine (although i'd need a bigger pen).

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's our almost-finished 12x12 chicken coop:

Next project is building a decent fence.
1708_dsc03107_medium.jpg

4x12 Entrance/Storage area. On the left side there are little wooden sliding doors, letting us reach into the nests for eggs without going all the way in.
1708_dsc03104_medium.jpg

Roosts - we made them move-able to make cleanup easier.
1708_dsc03093_medium.jpg

The girls seem to like laying eggs in the dishpans, and it makes cleaning very easy.
1708_dsc03090_medium.jpg

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cute chicken coops!
And - I started with only 4 too. Chicken math happened. :lol: