Your Farm Truck

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What do you have for a farm truck.

We have a 2001 Chevy 2500 Heavy Duty. 140,000 miles. Must always be a 4X4!

Does the jobs very easy!

Tony wants a new one soon....about 2 years we figure so banking like crazy.

We will not trade this one. Is fine and we need a true "beat'er up" farm truck and this will be it and keep the new truck from farm harm as long as we can..LOL

So what does everyone own now to do the work? A big truck or a smaller SUV to handle feed bags etc??

What is your "wish" truck if you could ever get it?????

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
We don't really have a farm truck, since we really don't have a farm :lol:. What we have is a company truck that DH drives and is owned thru our small business. It is a 1 ton Crew Cab Ford pickup that probably has about 40,000 miles.

I know he would love to have one of the new Ford Super Dutys. Actually, he is going to talk to the acct. about buying one to see if it would relieve some of the taxes for next year. It's still hard to go into that kind of debt though with the economy so tough.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have an 1985 3/4 ton suburban. Since we are on a mountain side, the 4WD gets us to most of our property. The carriage is a bit lifted so we can get over the rocks. And a winch on the front to pull fallen trees out of the way. It is very beat and rusting away on us. DH is starting to talk about replacing it, which makes me sad. It has been a good trooper. It doesn't usually leave the property unless we need to bring something big home or it snows badly.

We will probably replace it with the same basic thing. We will look for an old beat up one. That's all we can afford and then I won't feel guilty about driving it through the woods and getting scratched up.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
A 1985 Ford Van...no joke. Dh took the seats out and we haul everything in it.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A 1995 Dodge 2500 - I love having a diesel even with the higher gas prices- I live up a steep hill and the diesel can easily haul a ton in the bed while pulling a trailer up at a steady rate.
It has a couple of pretty large dents I put into it- jackknifed a trailer and had a load shift and push the box out of shape but I hope it runs til I die- only has about 64,000 miles on it.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ROTFL, I have had cars most of my driving life......My hubby gets so mad at me cuz I have treated all my cars like trucks. I hauled gravel and rock with a 1980 pontiac pheonix. I have hauled gravel and large stones with a 1978 ford fairmont. I have moved whole houses (interiors) with my cars. My cars go thru stuff my husband hesitates to...course that is the driver, right people? lol
Latest is the jeep I now own, that is the most trucklike vehicle I have ever had. I have hauled kayaks, cement, building supplies, feed for the chickens and my daughters house (stuff) and mattresses. I have even pulled my hubby from the ditch, giggle.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
We have a really beat down Toyota. I think it is early 1990s. The paint is peeling off. At one point we thought about getting a new paint job, but I don't see that ever happening. We have a trailer for it, so it hauls just about everything from gravel to firewood.

I haul feed bags in my car, because I have to travel a ways to get them. I once hauled strawbales too, but decided I didn't appreciate all the little bits of straw that never vaccum out of the trunk. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have two SUVs. A 2000 Ford Explorer, and a 95 Jeep Cherokee--both 4WD. We also have a utility trailer which is IMO the best money spent.
We have considered trading one for a pickup, and one for a small efficient car, but, aside from gas savings, it is not worth it--as it would cost us more money to purchase new vehicles. Both vehicles are reliable, paid for. When and if they die, we will get a pickup and small car, but after doing the math, we are staying with what we have.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have a utility trailer that I haul everything with and it is on its last legs. I have never made it legal, the pup chewed off the last two wiring harnesses and I bent the frame and axle hauling my Mother's Day present....a wet load of manure! I want a newer one but I can't afford that now.

But.....my niece has a 4x4 Ford, short bed, extended cab...not really sure what year but a nice looking truck. She just found out it has a broken frame, rusted through, no doubt....anyway, she is going to GIVE it to us!!! It books for $4500 ~without the current problem~so its definitely salvageable for a farm truck. I'm going to get the frame welded and us it for farm use and for an emergency 4X4 if my MPV/4x4 should happen to die a good death.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I have a utility trailer that I haul everything with and it is on its last legs. I have never made it legal, the pup chewed off the last two wiring harnesses and I bent the frame and axle hauling my Mother's Day present....a wet load of manure! I want a newer one but I can't afford that now.

But.....my niece has a 4x4 Ford, short bed, extended cab...not really sure what year but a nice looking truck. She just found out it has a broken frame, rusted through, no doubt....anyway, she is going to GIVE it to us!!! It books for $4500 ~without the current problem~so its definitely salvageable for a farm truck. I'm going to get the frame welded and us it for farm use and for an emergency 4X4 if my MPV/4x4 should happen to die a good death.
Do your vehicles have to pass a safety test befor you can license them?