Your favorite slow cooker recipe...GO!!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pork roast with a jar of home made cranberry sauce cooked long and slow (I'm sure a can would be fine) :)

Beef/bison pot roast cooked covered with lots of garlic and cracked black pepper :)

Whole chicken spread with a bit of dijon mustard mixed with honey and lots of tarragon :)

Beef/bison stew: brown stew pieces after dredging in salt & peppered flour, add 1/4 cup tomato paste and as many cubed carrots, potatoes, parsnips, turnips etc. as you like plus lots of chopped celery and onions, cover with water (or beef stock!) and cook it long and slow. I cook it all day, then cool in the fridge overnight, then warm it up for dinner the next day--the flavours really mingle when you've cooked then cooled a dish overnight. :)

Pepper "steak": brown stew pieces after dredging in salt & peppered flour, add a jar/can of crushed tomatoes and lots of chopped onions, cook all day, add chopped red or green bell pepper about an hour before serving--serve over rice or noodles. :)

Borscht (Eastern European beet and cabbage soup--there are many variations and mine is never exactly the same twice): beef/bison or ham bone stock plus chopped cabbage, a jar/can of cubed beets with juice, a jar/can of crushed tomatoes, lots of potatoes and carrots, some pinto beans--cook all day, then add 2 tbsp dill weed and 1/8 cup lemon juice, season with salt & pepper before serving with a small dollop of sour cream in each bowl :)

Scalloped potatoes: layer thinly sliced potatoes with layers of thinly sliced onions sprinkled with salt & pepper and dotted with butter, cover with milk or milk/cream mixture and cook till potatoes are tender (all day on low for my cooker) :)

Easy Chili: brown ground beef/bison, dump into cooker along with jar of salsa (we make our own), a cup of frozen sweet corn, and whatever cooked/canned beans you like best (we do pinto plus red kidney). :)

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DianeS said:
Just today I put a whole chicken in my slow cooker. Sprinkled it with salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, sage, marjoram, and two bay leaves. Added a sliced onion and a bunch of water. Delish! Then served it with baked potatoes.
This sounds awesome! May just have to give it a try... :)