Your Grocery Bill

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Homesteadmom- what is a "gamma seal"?
It is the seals that screw on the buckets instead of having to pry it off everytime you want to get into it. they have a section that does snap onto the bucket then the other part screws on & off for easy access.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
cackle said:
Homesteadmom said:
I have my wheat berries in a 5 gal bucket with the gamma seals on them. :D
Homesteadmom,

I am glad to hear that you like the gamma seals I just ordered 6 of them and they should get here today. I have to stop by firehouse subs and get some new buckets.
So much better than trying to pry those blasted lids off everytime!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Zenbirder said:
It is the seals that screw on the buckets instead of having to pry it off everytime you want to get into it. they have a section that does snap onto the bucket then the other part screws on & off for easy access.
Wow! I bow to the master of home food storage, :cool: I had never seen such a revolutionary idea...

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
eastTNchick said:
Here's a site where you can buy them.

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html

This is something that I still need to get. DH was reluctant back earlier, but he's finally about to give in, I think. I hate prying the lids off every single time I need in my buckets.
That is where I ended up buying mine from. I ordered them Tuesday and got them today. That was using the cheapest shipping rate/method. Now I need the buckets and something to put in them.

I plan to stock up on rice, flour, sugar, etc this weekend.

Susan

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Homesteadmom said:
Zenbirder said:
Wow! I bow to the master of home food storage, :cool: I had never seen such a revolutionary idea...
Well I appreciate the compliment but a friend from our homeschool group who gave me more info(taught me more) about grinding wheat & baking bread told me about them last yr. And after I got my grain buckets & went thru he$$ trying to get them open I ordered my first ones. All the buckets I use regularly have them on them. No more broken nails:love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My niece went together with a friend a bought broilers to raise. Well, when it was time to butcher, they didn't have the time. The birds reached 5 mo. of age and they finally killed a few. The friend ate one and described it as "tough" (no wonder) :rolleyes: and doesn't really care to kill anymore. My niece doesn't have room in her freezer, as someone cleaned all last year's beef out of their freezer to make room for new, and gave her the surplus.

They have 10 left. What do you say? Should I take this "headache" off their hands? 10 free, fat~ but maybe a little south of tender~ broilers that I didn't have to buy or feed and water?

I think YES! MY freezer has plenty of room! :D

How's that for paring down the grocery bill? ;)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Niiiiiice. I wish I had 10 free broilers. That's fantastic! I love a good long-cooked chicken stew, and that always seems to take care of tougher meat. Mmmm. I've been buying chickens from a local farmer here, but she doesn't always have them at the market, so I have to cross my fingers and hope she has one. And I've never found her with more than one, so I can't store. Boo.

eastTNchick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would definitely take them. Let them rest a few hours to a day in the fridge before freezing them. When she's ready to cook them, use the crockpot.

No matter how she decides to cook them, just make sure that it's slowly. That will help the meat to be tender and moist instead of tough.

HTH.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
yeah, things like this don't just happen every day here, either! :D

In exchange, I am giving her one gigantic rooster that I got from TuffoldHen yesterday, the brother to mine! One roo for 10 fat broilers don't sound like much of a trade off, but they have no idea what to do with these chickens now! The friend doesn't want them and Andrea doesn't have anywhere to put them, so I rationalize by telling myself that I am saving them the feed bill of carrying on with these poor, unwanted chickens.... :( ;) :D