Your Grocery Bill

eastTNchick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, ladies! Here's a couple of questions

1) Where do you buy your wheat berries?

2) What kind of grinder do you use?

I have considered this in the past, but DH was not really willing. I think now that he wants to be more self sufficient as much as I do, he would be willing. Plus, he has seen the increase in in the price of flour, which really hurts the grocery budget.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I got my wheat berries from a rummage/estate sale(lady was prepared for y2k) and from our organic buying club co., but all you need t do is search the internet if you want to buy them in bulk(25 & 50lb bags). They also have them at the Whole Foods Market in smaller quantities.

I have a Back to Basics hand grinder. If I could get a elec one I would be leaning towards the Whisper mill(it has been highly recomended to me). But the hand one is great exercise for my arms.:eek:!!!

I use hard red for bread & white wheat for all other flour needs. One thing though is it is harsher in taste as the wheatgerm & bran is still in it, so I have always mixed them 1/2 & 1/2 to start. Although dh likes the pancakes full wheat now. Since all this is still there the oils are in it too, so you need to cut back on fats in the recipe too. And you need to store the extra in the freezer. A little extra work but so worth it to get 100% whole wheat.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have a Back to Basics hand grinder too and a Regal electic one for lots when I'm lazy.
I ordered a 50 lb sack of white wheat berries from my local co-op. I vacuumed packed the berries in canning jars and it has lasted for years.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have my wheat berries in a 5 gal bucket with the gamma seals on them. My corn & peanuts too. I need to order 1 more seal for my alfalfa too(want to grow sprouts for my chickens).

I want the elec one for when I am lazy too. :D

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I have a Family Grain Mill and flaker (makes oatmeal and flaked barley)
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/family_grain_mills.aspx
I have had mine now for four years, absolutely no problems. Comes with a free hand crank in case the power is out. I was shocked to see that the prices have gone up a lot, just like everything else. Anyway, mine has paid for its self easily. I have been buying wheat through Mormon friends and their church distribution because they get it very cheep. I could also get it at my local Co-op. I keep the wheat in 5 gal buckets.

Homesteadmom- what is a "gamma seal"?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got Y2K leftovers also....a total of 12 tins, #30 each of red turkey wheat and an electric wheat grinder. This wheat is so rich and good it practically makes itself into bread! It has a different flavor than the refined flour that you buy in the store...almost a sourdough flavor...but I like sourdough!

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As a senior citizen , its hard to buy for just 2 ,esp,sinceI can't eat red meat, So DH has learned to eat a lot of chicken.The Angel Food ministries is really a blessing to helping save on groceries. and they have great food. Ibuy once a month and probably spend about $200.00 but Ibuy over a hundred lbs of dog food for my big dogs and make the food for my little ones. Also we have a discount store call grocery outlet in the buro and its has great prices. marrie

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sundance, You are lucky that you are able to access Angel Food ministries. Here in Vermont there is no place that participates, or at least I haven't found one.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
I have my wheat berries in a 5 gal bucket with the gamma seals on them. :D
Homesteadmom,

I am glad to hear that you like the gamma seals I just ordered 6 of them and they should get here today. I have to stop by firehouse subs and get some new buckets.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
Sundance, You are lucky that you are able to access Angel Food ministries. Here in Vermont there is no place that participates, or at least I haven't found one.
You might consider trying to get one started up. From what I understand, they are normally sponsored by churches, but I don't think they have to be.

Cassandra