Your Stuff--baby rant about my stuff!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I can't blame onyone for most of my teapots- about half I bought myself. It started with this great teapot (I really don't know if it's great- it's never been used) that was a rabbit. Loved it- then came a hand made one at a junk shop for $10 - it is so pretty. Then I bought some for my mom and got them all back when she died- then a friend gave me a couple then I got my sister's when she died. :rolleyes:

I do have a serious problem with the stuff I inherited- I don't want most of it and yet it seems so disrespectful to get rid of it. It was the result of my oldest sister not wanting the stuff and just having it wholesale shipped to me. So I am constantly moving it around trying to make it fit in which it just won't.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I can't blame onyone for most of my teapots- about half I bought myself. It started with this great teapot (I really don't know if it's great- it's never been used) that was a rabbit. Loved it- then came a hand made one at a junk shop for $10 - it is so pretty. Then I bought some for my mom and got them all back when she died- then a friend gave me a couple then I got my sister's when she died. :rolleyes:

I do have a serious problem with the stuff I inherited- I don't want most of it and yet it seems so disrespectful to get rid of it. It was the result of my oldest sister not wanting the stuff and just having it wholesale shipped to me. So I am constantly moving it around trying to make it fit in which it just won't.
I've got stuff like that too. I finally got tired of storing my great grandmother's table in the basement so we crammed it into our small eat-in kitchen and actually use it. Wish I could say the same for the buffet. I won't part with it so it is a storage piece in the basement. You've got me wanting to go grab a tape measure and start moving stuff around!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Way ahead of ya'll!!

I been sending out stuff for 2 weeks!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You go Tanks!
:ya

Let us know how freeing it was to unload 10 big bags! I know it will feel wonderful!!!!!!!

see you in a bit, send up a flare if you get in trouble at the dump...and don't be bringing anything decent back from there..HA HA

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woo Hooo 7 bags gone!!!!!!! That felt great. It only took 15 min out of my normal day.

edited to say.... I did hesitate on two of the bags. The lady at the drop site was looking funny at me. Like I was an Indian giver.. I thought of you guys and handed them over.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea ETR you are in a hard spot in a way......but I saw (I think Oprah) where they said....keep 1 or 2 cherished items....the best of the best, the ones you adore, and send away the rest. Because stuff is not a person. Well, they described it better of course......

I have a Franklin Mint and Armani horse scultpure collection. I can't part with it. In the corner cabinet on display. WOW I hate dusting them!!!! But they were high dollar and I can't get rid of them....I just can't. See---same problem in a way. I thought of selling them but then again, if I do, then I will never buy more and this is all I have for my loved horse collection...UGH.....HA HA

I know the beauty of the things. I see vases and beautiful bowls and all kinds of things I want so bad. But never buy. I was at the mall last week and they had Black Lion store closing. WOW WOW WOW ---all these fancy horse sculptures that were wild...some were made from brick, other horses made from leather, some horses made from china and terra cotta.....some made from crushed button material----$39 on sale for $15. OH YES I wanted them all and didn't buy a one. They were so unique.

oh well rambling again...LOL

it is hard to part with stuff when there are memories. Some can do it and some can't. I think when my parents pass I will do the Oprah thing and just keep a few of the most memory items and move the rest forward thru life to someone else to use etc.

I don't know...no telling what I might do then.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know I guess I am lucky in the way that I have nothing I have inherited. I have almost no collections. What I do keep is silly things my children had growing up. I refuse to part with expensive toys. I have an attic that reads like a toy store. I am hoping that some day I can give the case of Lincoln logs to my kids kids.. At least in the attic it's not in the way. I

I do have plastic tubs of yarn and fabric. You never know when you might need just that color. I think I will apply the "buy no more, use it up" to those as well.

I know most of my hoarding relates to growing up poor. We used everything until it was worn, recycled though 10 kids or broken. Now I just feel guilty giving the stuff away. Ok I'll pay you for listening to that one. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you hesitated but pulled it off!!!!

no way feel guilty!

believe me, sometimes we have to send it down the line. YOU DID GOOD! AND I am right behind you! I will have no guilt when I get rid of my stuff. Gon-ZO big time!

my MIL was very poor growing up. dirt farmers. they did not have much at all.....she is a hoarder now because of it. I truly understand the thinking behind it....but everyone must make an effort to work thru these types of feelings. Cause if clutter is driving you insane, why keep it?....LOL----we are all a work in progress...and you made a good step forward today! COOL

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
For me hoarding is genetic. My father has boxes of things in the basement that he thinks will be so valuable to my brother and I that he can't part with them. They hold meaning for him, but honestly I don't see my brother and I fighting over who gets Dad's college textbooks from 1948. Not even sure either of us will want his Air Force discharge papers. But he's saving it all for us just the same. :/

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This has struck such a chord in me. I have too much stuff. I can't let it go! Sentimental attachments to stuff is a weight across my shoulders, it's driving me crazy. My house is full of stuff. And to top it off, I've married a pack rat, so when I do get the gumption up to get rid of something, he's always saying no, we could use it here or there. :barnie How the heck do you overcome your own attachments with the pack rat trying to keep you from moving forward?

I think this is an age thing. I'm over 50, and have 30 years accumulation of stuff in this house. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a mess or anything, it's just cluttered. I need to declutter, in a huge way!

Gotta run, will be back to this later!