YUCK! Ducklings make Chicks smell sweet!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For that very reason....mine are in an outside brooder...covered and with a light. Thier brooder is fenceing on the bottom, and thats where the water sits. This way MOST of the mess goes right on the ground. :D I have 20 or so in there right now.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh crikey, if you brooded 20 ducklings in the house you would probably want to move afterwards.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
justusnak said:
For that very reason....mine are in an outside brooder...covered and with a light. Thier brooder is fenceing on the bottom, and thats where the water sits. This way MOST of the mess goes right on the ground. :D I have 20 or so in there right now.
We still have lots of snow, otherwise they would be all the way out too.
I will remember your setup for the future though :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I had 17 in March of last year in my spare bedroom. Never again! I had 18 chickens in the same space with no problem whatsoever.

After having the mama hen raise the chicks, that is going to be my new goal. It was so fun to watch that motherly love and much, much easier! Cheaper, too.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I had 17 in March of last year in my spare bedroom. Never again! I had 18 chickens in the same space with no problem whatsoever.

After having the mama hen raise the chicks, that is going to be my new goal. It was so fun to watch that motherly love and much, much easier! Cheaper, too.
We had one Cochin hen that raised 50 meat birds on grass for us last summer. She did get the help of two heat lamps inside two rubbermaid tubs on their sides though :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That sounds like the excellent way to go if you asked me! I'd be happy to provide mama with a heat lamp.

I have a nice little pen, about 8 x 8 that is all enclosed that is my broody house. I'm dying for someone to go broody so I can use it! I've been tempted to incubate but I really don't want to end up with house birds again. I'm using my spare room for other things now!