Zero Food Waste Challenge

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have some crumpets in the freezer that should be used up. I'm thinking bread pud in the near future. I'm tired of looking at the stupid things, and I need more space to freeze some dry goods for a few days.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know the feeling. I have a bag full of banana peppers in the freezer from last year and it's just ridiculous that I haven't thrown them in the compost. If I chop them up really small, I can hide them in some recipes, but by themselves, they taste awful. Some things you just can't save.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My hubby cleaned out the freezer today when I wasn't home. I HATE it when he does that. He'll throw out good stuff. :barnie

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
My hubby cleaned out the freezer today when I wasn't home. I HATE it when he does that. He'll throw out good stuff. :barnie
(slap, slap, slap)
I don't have to worry about that here. DH would probably be surprised that our freezer had to be defrosted manually. He's more afraid that I'll accidentally (on purpose) feed him homemade cat or dog food.
You don't mess with the one who's fixing your food....

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay, I make the absolutely worst fried chicken in the county. I don't know why I even tried it again.
So today the birds or the dogs get the tasteless, too brown breading part and I'll try to salvage the chicken to make some chicken salad for sandwiches. Then the bones go in the slow cooker for bone broth.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I know the feeling. I have a bag full of banana peppers in the freezer from last year and it's just ridiculous that I haven't thrown them in the compost. If I chop them up really small, I can hide them in some recipes, but by themselves, they taste awful. Some things you just can't save.
Marianne--Can you dehydrate them? I think that makes it easier to sneak them in and you still get the flavor!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Okay, I make the absolutely worst fried chicken in the county. I don't know why I even tried it again.
So today the birds or the dogs get the tasteless, too brown breading part and I'll try to salvage the chicken to make some chicken salad for sandwiches. Then the bones go in the slow cooker for bone broth.
What is wrong with your fried chicken? Is the breading getting soggy, too crispy, what? It took me a while to get it right to where the chicken was done AND the breading was right. Here's my recipe if ya want to try again..

FRIED CHICKEN
-------------
2 c flour
3 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chives
1 TBSP pepper (preferrably coarse ground)
1 c buttermilk

The KEY is to put the spices into the BUTTERMILK, NOT the flour ;) Roll in buttermilk mixture, then flour, THEN roll it in buttermilk mixture again, and roll it in the flour again. It's messy, but the family loves it this way. I also cook it on a low setting, just enough to fry it slowly and not get the breading done before the chicken gets cooked thoroughly.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The breading on the chicken didn't have enough seasoning, for sure. I tried a different recipe (you know how everyone swears their's is the best??) :/
I fried thighs and breasts first, set them on a rack for a few minutes, then popped them in a 300 degree oven while I fried the smaller pieces. Big pieces were cooked clear through, but got soggy on the bottom from sitting on the pan in the oven. Smaller pieces got a little toooo dark, but not burnt. Guess the oil was a little too hot by then. DH was polite and ate most of one piece. :lol: It actually did taste better the next day, but still low on seasoning.

I'll try yours next time, WBF. Do you fry in cast iron?

Snapshot, that's a great idea! I usually use them mostly for the color. I left them on the bushes to get reds, oranges and of course, yellow. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Send me a piece. I'll try it!

WBF, I'll be trying your recipe. I have yet to find a fried chicken recipe that I like, and I won't buy it from The Kernel anymore.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
We canned our hot banana peppers in vinegar and they are damn tasty, i put them in sandwiches and wraps :) I also add some chopped fine to mild salsa (because I like things spicy and DH, not so much) I also canned some sweet bananas (also in vinegar) and added a little sugar, dh loves them and puts them on everything. The catch is keeping them labeled ;)