okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In Cyprus candied watermelon rind is a favourite

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay, two questions here -

lwheelr - Cracker pancake? I could have just mixed the leftover milk/egg and flour/cracker stuff together and fried it? I love that breading...Fried crackers are the bomb. I'll have to post a recipe using fried crackers that's been a family favorite for years.

And Okra, do you have the recipe for candied watermelon rind? If you do, can you post it under a new topic?

I'm like Wannabefree, nothing goes to waste here. But if I can make something from what I'd usually compost or feed to the critters, better yet!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
My rabbits are my kitchen garbage disposals. :) I HATE the Hefty-Febreeze garbage bag commercials. Simple: don't throw away food.
Me too... I always cringe when I see those commercials... good compost at the very least! I can't remember the last time I had any food items in my garbage.

I save ALL my veggie peelings, ends, etc. and make vegetable broth, then the scraps go into the compost.

And I love the idea of putting orange peels in the vinegar! That's something I have no shortage of around here.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mother used to make watermelon rind pickles, from the white part of the rind. They were a sweet pickle, colored with maraschino cherries.

We got a rather over-ripe watermelon, it doesn't taste very good, is getting mushy. I think I am going to dry it - that comes out like candy, and I'll have to lock it up to keep the kids from gobbling it all up.

And cracker pancake is terrific. We like it plain, but the favorite was with real bacon added in. We would sometimes toss in cheese cubes too - bits of fried cheddar cheese in it, all chewy and crispy.

Now I'm upset that I can't have saltine crackers... :)

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Marianne

New topic posted on candied watermelon - enjoy

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
We got a rather over-ripe watermelon, it doesn't taste very good, is getting mushy. I think I am going to dry it - that comes out like candy, and I'll have to lock it up to keep the kids from gobbling it all up.
We got an overripe watermelon last year that no one really wanted to eat. I threw chunks of watermelon into the blender and whizzed it up, made a simple syrup and mixed into the watermelon mush and dumped the whole thing into an old ice cream bucket and shoved it into the freezer. It made the best sorbet. When we wanted some we pulled it out, let is set on the counter for a few minutes to soften slightly and scraped it out. Since I noticed a stray seed when I was dumping it into the bucket and I couldn't find it to fish it out, I told my kids that whoever got the seed won a prize. They loved that stuff - and no one ever actually found that darn seed!! Personally, I thought it was really good scooped into a glass with a splash of vodka!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My mother dehydrated watermelon and said it was like candy when it was done, but I've never had it. I love watermelon! And watermelon pickles, too. I'm going to try the candied watermelon when I get a melon.

I got rather tipsy eating watermelon at a party years ago. It was the coldest, freshest tasting watermelon I had ever had and I kept going back for more. That was my first experience with a watermelon with watermelon schnapps in it.

I think I'd like the sorbet, too.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
So is there anything you can do with carrot tops other than the compost pile? I pulled my first carrots today and I've got more on the way!

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
So is there anything you can do with carrot tops other than the compost pile? I pulled my first carrots today and I've got more on the way!
Carrot tops can be added to broth or fed to chickens, goats or other animals.