Zero Food Waste Challenge

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted that link. I always thought carrot tops were poisonous. I'm glad to know that they aren't and are actually useful.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My chickens got an entire bucket of watermelon rinds 20 minutes ago. I should have hopped on the computer BEFORE tending the girls like I normally do.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a wood-fired oven, so we have lots of bread around the house. We're the house of bread. Still, I usually collect the heels and freeze them until I have enough for bread pudding. Same for stale pancakes (if you have any), corn bread, biscuits, etc. You can also use if for dressing/stuffing.

I often use frozen vegtables, which I steam. The water gets re-used for soup or flavor on the dog's bits.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I make flavored coffee creamers, but we don't use much of them in the warmer months. So I had two open packages of pudding mix (1/2 package each) that have been sitting around since January. DH complained the other day that we didn't have cookies, so today I mixed up the pudding mixes with a cup of milk and 'frosted' a couple sleeves of graham crackers like sandwich cookies.

I put them in a big ziplock container and into the freezer. DH just had one and gave it a thumbs up. It's been forever since we had these.

When I was a kid, we always used leftover frosting from cakes on graham crackers, but never put them in the freezer.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh---and you can make bread salad with bits of stale bread. Just soak some stale bits of bread in water for a few minutes and squeeze it out. Don't use too much bread, or no one will want to eat the salad. I understand it's an old Mediterranean trick to avoid food waste.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Oh---and you can make bread salad with bits of stale bread. Just soak some stale bits of bread in water for a few minutes and squeeze it out. Don't use too much bread, or no one will want to eat the salad. I understand it's an old Mediterranean trick to avoid food waste.
Then you add the soaked bread to any kind of salad greens?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
k15n1 said:
Then you add the soaked bread to any kind of salad greens?
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Salad/Panzanella.htm