Zucchini Recipes

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
ORChick said:
This is a wonderful way to make zucchini; even those who don't like zucchini have liked this. But I haven't made it in years, because DH is both un-fond of zucchini, and dislikes cheese :(. This is from the 1953 edition of Joy of Cooking (and one of the reasons that I have never bought a newer edition than my mother's tattered book - the newer editions don't have this recipe, and a couple of others that I value :))
Ya know, ORChick, Fannie Farmer and Betty Crocker do the same thing. My old ones have some recipes that are much better than the newer issues contain, imo.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Zucchini Corn Frittersallrecipes.com
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups fresh corn, kernels cut from cob
1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
oil for frying

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cumin, sugar, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and butter. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir in zucchini, corn, and cheese; mix well. Warm oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Drop batter by the tablespoonful into hot oil. Fry until crisp and brown, turning once with tongs. Remove to paper towels.
GASP! :drool And to think I ignored this thread, thinking....zucchini....YUK! :th

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Zucchini Salsa

recipe is kinda just by eyeballing it sorry

In Large pan simmer

2-3 overly large zucchini ground in food processor with skin on
4-5 onions ground in food processor
6 green peppers ground in food processor
2 Large cans stewed tomatoes (or homemade) ground in food processor :hit no tomatoes this yr out of my garden
3-5 pkts salsa mix in preferred flavor ( Med here)
white vinegar 1-2 cups

add additional spices per taste
ground red peppers
Cayenne pepper
franks hot sauce
cilantro
chives
parsley
celery salt
garlic

ladle into jars and process in water bath caner

I use to do in pint size but never lasted long so this year doing quart size
so far 14 quarts

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
How about this one?
Courtesy Gourmet Mag
re-zucchini-whoopie-pies-608.jpg

FOR CAKES
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (10 ounces)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup walnuts (4 ounces), chopped
FOR FILLING
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt
MAKE CAKES:
Preheat oven to 350F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Butter 2 large baking sheets.
Squeeze handfuls of zucchini wrapped in a kitchen towel to remove moisture.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt until combined. Whisk together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.
Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and beat until combined well.
At low speed, mix in flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until smooth. Mix in zucchini and walnuts until just incorporated.
Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of batter 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through, until tops are puffed and golden and spring back when touched, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer with a spatula to a rack to cool completely.
MAKE FILLING:
Beat together cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and salt with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
ASSEMBLE PIES:
Spread a rounded 2 Tbsp filling on flat sides of half of cakes and top with remaining cakes.
COOKS NOTE: Whoopie pies keep, chilled in an airtight container, 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zucchini Jam
3 c zucchini, peeled and grated
1/2 c lemon juice
3 c sugar
1 pkg apricot gelatin

Boil grated zucchini, lemon juice and sugar together for 30 min. Add gelatin and remove from heat. Don't let it boil again. Pour into jars and seal in water bath.
Make sure you peel the zucchini and take out any seeds. I thought it was better if you kind of chop it after too with a knife, so it is less stringy.

Zucchini Brownies

2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
2 tsp vanilla.
Mix well and add:
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda,
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Blend flour, soda cocoa, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, oil, water, and vanilla. Stir in sugar, then add dry mix. Mix all together well, then spread in greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes at 350.

I frost with canned chocolate frosting.

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup cooking oil (replace half with applesauce)
2 cups sugar
2 cups raw unpeeled zucchini, grated
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
3 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, oil, sugar, and zucchini. Stir in flour, cinnamon, soda, and powder. Pour into 2 well greased loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until loafs test done. Remove from pans and cool on a rack.

Summer Zucchini Casserole

1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons parsley
3 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 white potatoes, chopped
2 small green peppers, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3-4 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
1/3-1/2 cup raw rice (not instant)
1 3/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Blend oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, and sauce; set aside. Chop zucchini, potatoes, peppers, carrots, and celery; mix them in a large bowl. Spray a large casserole dish with oil. Cover bottom with some sliced tomatoes. Cover with half the vegetables. Place another layer of tomatoes. Sprinkle with rice. Add remaining vegetables and top with a final layer of tomatoes. Stir oil mixture and pour over all. Cover with foil and bake 1 1/4 hours at 350 degrees. Remove foil and sprinkle on the cheese. Bake another 15 minutes.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
OK..now that OUR Zucchini's and Eggplants are comin' on strong.......and I just cooked this for dinner this evening, I'll type it up while it is still fresh in my melon. :)

This recipe works equally well with eggplant, and , just so ya know.....I NEVER cook this the same way twice. You'll understand here in a minute.

Take one medium Zucchini, and split it down the middle(do not peel it)
Scoop out the seeds and feed them to your chickens.
Scoop out about half of the remaining Zucchini, and leave about half of it each shell. The idea is to take some to cook, but leave enough to form a shell. Set the shells in the fridge until we are ready for them.
Brown up 1/2lb of either ground chicken or sausage or hamburger, whichever happens to float your boat at the moment. I did ground chicken this evening. Put it in a large skillet and brown it.
Take the Zucchinin that you removed from the shells and toss it in the large skillet, along with the meat. Chop up a large onion and a couple of tomatoes, add some dried or fresh mushrooms, a couple of cloves of garlic, and about a 1/2 cup of ketchup. If you like your stuff spicy, add some ground red pepper flakes or some Chipotle pepper. I prefer Chipotle. While that is simmering down a bit, fire up your BBQ grill and get it hot. After the stuff in the skillet has simmered for a bit add a can of those french fried onions to it, but save a few back for the topping. Take the shells out of the fridge and put a layer of goat cheese in the bottom then stuff them full of chicken/Zucchini stuff you have in the skillet. Sprinkle a little more goat cheese and the rest of the french fried onions on top. Set them on a cookie sheet and put them on the grill. I like to get my grill as hot as it will get, put the stuff on then set all the burners to low to let them cook. I just cook them until the Zucchini shells are tender and the goat cheese has browned up a wee bit. Take them off the grill, open a COLD beer and enjoy. :clap

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Another quick and easy Zucchini idea is............
Fire up the BBQ grill and get it HOT.
Take a medium or large Zucchini and peal it, then slice it in 1/2 inch thick pieces. Put the pieces into a large ziploc bag with a 1/2 cup or so of your favorite Extra Virgin Olive Oil. shake and cover them well with the oil. Take them out of the bag(kinda drain them) and set them on the hot grill. BE CAREFUL because the oil WILL make the grill flair up! After you get the grill fire put out, sprinkle the Zucchini with Mrs Dash, Basil/Tomato flavor. Turn them after about 5 minutes, sprinkle the other side with Mrs Dash, and let them cook until they are juuuust starting to get tender. ENJOY!!!

This idea works for Eggplant as well!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SKR8PN, SO has done the BBQ zucchini before, he brushes the sliced succhini with evoo and grills it that way, He does the same with a lot of other vegies.
I like the stuffed zucchini recipe also. I'll have to try it next time I have ground meat on hand.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
SKR8PN, SO has done the BBQ zucchini before, he brushes the sliced succhini with evoo and grills it that way, He does the same with a lot of other vegies.
I like the stuffed zucchini recipe also. I'll have to try it next time I have ground meat on hand.
We also do the stuffed Zucchini, but STOP at the part where ya put them on the grill. We then take the two stuffed halves, vacuum seal them and toss them in the freezer for a quick meal later on!