2000K rent!!!!!!!! some one slap me! Beekissed where are you!!!!!!!!

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rent is high everywhere and some folks don't have any other option. I hated when we were paying rent cause it felt like money being thrown away cause the house would never be ours.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I believe $2000K a month! My friend's DS pays like $3000 a month for a house in CA but says it is worth WAY more than that but because he has been renting for so long the landlord has not raised his rent. So the landlord owns a $2 million house and my friend's DS paid for it!!!
Rents are $300-$450 for a crappy one bedroom, $600-$1000 a month for a small house. If you have the credit to get a loan it is cheaper than renting!
My Step sister and her DH rented off of the same landlord for OVER 10 years. Their rent was $450 a month for a $30K house in a not so great section of town. Do the math...they could have bought two houses of their own for that price!! They finally bought their own house a couple of years ago...but after 10 years in that rental they had NOTHING to show for all that $$ spent. His excuse for not buying was If the hot water tank, furnace, etc breaks the landlord has to replace it.....but he is the one that mowed month after month. As soon as he gave the landlord notice the landlord started fixing the gutters and repainting but never once did that in all the years they lived there!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Some of us poor saps could never afford the down payment for a house of our own right now, nor do we have the credit to do so....so renting is a good option. One just has to make adjustments to our expectations when renting. My current rent is $375 a month for a nice little ol' farmhouse on 1+ acre. The drawback? Very rural area that has little employment opportunities and is far from places of commerce.

5_imported_photos_00004.jpg
[/img]

There are several aspects of renting that I enjoy: I don't pay the taxes, the repairs, or the interest on the home. If I wish to move, I don't have to wait until I sell my home to purchase another. Its unusual while renting, but my landlord gives me amazing freedom to paint or remodel~within reason, I'm sure~and also lowers my rent by $25 each year I stay here, as an incentive to stay.

Some I don't enjoy: I may have to find a new home at any moment(deaths, divorce, sale of property, who knows?), any improvements I may make are for someone else's property, and I am obliged to ask to make any changes that I want to make, just to avoid any misunderstandings.

If you are paying more than a quarter of your monthly income for rent, you are losing the battle and you need to move to somewhere you can afford to live. I pay less~I make less~but I pay less, so it all evens out! :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well we are new renters and for now I am happy to be out from under the burden that our mortgage was. As the economy slowed down, our business died a slow, painful death that we did not see coming. We did everything we could to keep our employees taken care of and we scaled back on our facility...3 times. In the end we could not survive any more.

As for the rent....I think it really depends on the area. In CA 1/3 of your gross income is pretty common. The price folks are willing to pay drives the cost.
Bee...I would give my right arm for your beautiful rent-a-far! It looks like heaven to me :)

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mortgage ism $721 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 story house detached 2 1/2 car garage and 4 acres. My taxes are about $900 a year. Where they live they can get a nice 2 bedroom duplex for $500 a month. I firmly beleive that its a case of "look I am sombody" when realy there just average "joes" like the rest of us. (but with ALOT less common sense!):rolleyes:

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Theres 50 acres for rent near me, 3bed 2bath farmhouse with large barn and fenced fields for $1200 + utilities....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
My mortgage ism $721 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 story house detached 2 1/2 car garage and 4 acres. My taxes are about $900 a year. Where they live they can get a nice 2 bedroom duplex for $500 a month. I firmly beleive that its a case of "look I am sombody" when realy there just average "joes" like the rest of us. (but with ALOT less common sense!):rolleyes:
I think that is a lot of it in most cases! Why else would just two people need a huge house all to themselves~as I see all the time around here. Unless you have lots of family and friends staying over all the time, its just wasted space to heat and cool.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All I can say is everything is relative. Cost of living to income earned. I think the advantage to owining a home is the interest right- off. If it its all possible to get a mortgage, which I know right now is very hard. In the end it is much better on you taxes. In my sisters case whit a dual income for her and her husband she has to pay the IRS every year. Now if she had a 15000.00 per year right off she would be in a much better position.

We would never be able to rent the home we have. The payment would be probably twice my mortgage payment. And that does not include the 650.00 per month towards property taxes.

When we bought our first home in 1996 we had zero money and fudged on our income. We bought a repo and financed 100 percent of it. I think we were only required to pay the closing cost. Which were just a couple thousand dollars. Yes, still chunk of cash but we made it back with our first year of interest right off. I think the system is much more difficult now though. I don't think the banks even do 100% financing.

One more reason to leave Ca.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2000K on a 1/2 acre with a three car garage would be a very good deal in my area.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Twenty years ago the 7 acres we live on cost my husband $8000. We paid $8000 for our singlewide.

7 acres $8000
trailer $8000
yearly taxes $200
Owning where you live? priceless