glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you all freezing IN the glass quart jars? Because each time I try that the jar explodes...even if I leave head room for expansion...

I'm assuming I can just freeze in freezer bags too, right? Or perhaps just use a plastic rubbermaid container?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I freeze broths and other liquids in glass jars frequently. Never had one explode. Maybe if you leave a little more headroom, and freeze with the lid off initially? Then put a lid on once it is frozen.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Are you all freezing IN the glass quart jars? Because each time I try that the jar explodes...even if I leave head room for expansion...

I'm assuming I can just freeze in freezer bags too, right? Or perhaps just use a plastic rubbermaid container?
Make sure you are using wide mouth pint jars, and leave a full inch at the top. I have had one out of a couple hundred break.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
you can freeze broth in ice cube trays and once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Makes it MUCH easier to pull out the amount you need :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Or for larger portions, use a silicone muffin tin. I like freezing in bags though. If you get the air out and lay them flat you can easily stack them.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I also feed the crumbly bones to the chickens, they love it. My family absolutely loves my broth. SO brags to his friends about how I make it. And he has quit complaining abut the "experiment" simmering on the stove for days.... :p

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Or for larger portions, use a silicone muffin tin. I like freezing in bags though. If you get the air out and lay them flat you can easily stack them.
I like this idea - it's what I do with the goat milk.

I think my issues with breaking the glass jars was using the regular ones, not wide mouth as BB suggested.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I think I'll make some broth this weekend....it'd be a good time since I'm off Monday and I'll have plenty of time to let it simmer for forever.