big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Word of caution: The first time I made it everyone complained about the smell bones simmering for so long. Now it doesn't bother anyone.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hm. rotisserie chicken for dinner tonight, convenient... I think I am going to put the crock pot outside for this one, DH hates when the whole house smells like food, unless it's cinnamon buns or apple pie, lol.

i second using the baggies, I have everything in baggies in the basement freezer, nice neat little stacked squares and no wasted space.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here's what I say, "Do ya want me to cook???? Then quit yer whinin'!!! Go outside and do some chores if you don't like the smell in here.....here's a list."

Shuts 'em up REAL fast! :lol:

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol. That does work but I don't want to push my luck because next weekend I'll be canning pickles! I'll put the crock pot out when I can so I hear less crap about the things I can't do outside (like pickles)

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would cook lutefisk and cabbage for a week every time he opened his mouth about such things. Outside/inside no matter; no where would be safe from the stench. Any one down wind would have to move.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So.....you can see in my journal that I cooked a meatie in the pressure cooker to make stir fry last night. I added a cup of water to the pot even though it really didn't need that much water, but my thought was I could use the excess stuff to make a small bone broth. Once the chicken was done cooking, the water/broth/whatever was left in the cooker smelled grrrrreat, so after we pulled the meat off the bones we tossed the bones back into the pot. It's been on low/warm since last night.

I assume this can be saved as broth once I strain out the bones, no?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
LOL! It takes some getting used to. I had to make mine in the garage (in a crockpot) the first couple of times because the smell grossed everyone out. :p Then we all got used to it and now it smells "homey" to me when I make it. Fry up some bacon and your house will smell divine while you make your broth. ;)