Are we living our dreams?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe someone said something to her about it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But, even if she was making comparisons.. a 7 year old can 'get it'. And, even better, I'll bet her friends' yards don't feed them!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH moved near some people that are into lots (too many really) farm projects. They don't have grass at all and they don't really have room for the stuff they trying to manage. The children are friends with those children now. I don't encourage any judging because really they do have a certain degree of survivalism going for them, even though there isn't much income going into the homes, they keep busy and are really good at repurposing. I can't see that they would be jealous of those children because really the house DH lives in would be the mansion of the immediate area, except I admit he does absolutely no SS projects anymore....well his heart isn't what it used to be. I do have neighbors that sometimes live a very lavish lifestyle and the kids do tend to have some really nice things. Their oldest child thinks I cook the best food ever and tells her mother that its like being at a restraunt when she is at my house and she loves following me when I am doing my chores. I would hope my children aren't jealous of those children because what I have is mine. I may not buy new things all the time because I don't want to owe, but there you go.
I guess I could make a better appearance, but I don't want to pay the note for that appearance. I sometimes think my kids have been told something, but then again I keep hearing from my neighbors about things the children say about me when they go home and the kids think my projects are awesome, so I have a hard time thinking my kids would feel like less.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From what I read, your kids are blessed. They are blessed to have such a wonderful mother, blessed to live on yard that turned into a farm, blessed to have such good food to eat and blessed to be so loved.

It doesn't matter where you are in life, there will always be kids that have more "stuff" than your kids and there will be kids that have less "stuff" than your kids. Just keep their feet on the ground and teach them life isn't about "stuff". They'll be fine.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
It could be that a friend asked why your yard was different, and that got her thinking. Children often have to explore why one thing is doesn't from what they know. Sounds like you're the neighborhood hot spot, which is a great thing to be!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So its Christmas Eve and I woke up early. Too early, in fact. I was worried cuz my dog was not with me. She is afraid of bad weather and we had a storm last night. I gave her something to calm her nerves and she, at some point disappeared, but DS had gone to movies and came in late....apparently she was in bed with him. I thought I had overdosed her and would have to clean up my kids room to find her body. So....thats what I started my day with....cleaning my little girl's room.
Life goes on....well my oldest had a breakup and I'm trying to take as much stress off of her as possible. I have live in's in the trailer, in my yard now, who hopefully will help out with a few things. I am seriously thinking about setting up a small bunkhouse operation, under my house...maybe just 4 or 5 rooms, with a common outdoor bathroom. That would fit into my plans of closing in down there, plus possibly generate income.
My 2 little ones just got over a stomach virus, then a couple of adult members of my family came down with it. I did feel queezy, and I hope that was my turn and the worse I will experience, which is so much better than what I saw happen to 3 of my daughters and apparently DH (who tended to himself, mostly and is living apart from me).
So I'm doing something really wild with my herbology, but I'm only obtaining the ingredients and equipment so far, but I practacly am ready. I will be making herbal cigarettes. As soon as I get the mullien, I will pack some cigs. My sister had a nasty cough and claimed the only reason she was even alive was because of guiafensin.....hello...what is that thing I see you puffing on? But Momma never could master her addiction either, and she was super smart, so it has to be a hard habit to break. Well, I am hoping to help a few peeps out. I have suggestions in some of my books to help break nicotine addictions and treat bronchitis......yeah, with smoke....go figure!!! Makes no sense to me, but if it works, then good. Can't be worse than tobacco smoke. I got a bunch of roses from Church Friday and my little ones plucked the wilted pedals off and today we will pluck all the rest to dry....its for those who like a sweeter smoke, whatever that means.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stomach flu--ACV! I mix ACV half and half with honey, pour some in a small glass and fill with water. Sip on it and it will kill all those bad bugs that are kicking your gut around. Even if throwing up, it still works.

Herbal ciggs....if it works, why not?

Merry Christmas!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That treatment wasn't in my studies, but I was thinking of it and in all likelyhood, I had read it somewhere. I wasn't 100% sure, but I have other family members left that haven't been affected yet.
Well, I am multitasking. I have my favorite religious channel on, in the girl's room and I have a really nice clearing made. Drinking water, as I pass my huge glass...none of us really drinks enough water. My 11 year old, who is my most pious child, came to me with 2 rosaries and asked me to say the last decade with her. What parent could refuse that? I had taken my first break of the day and was just starting my foot rub, but I hobbled back in the room, put on my shoes and got back to work, while I prayed with her.
Got DS to do the outside chores,so I can stay on a roll.
I plucked the remaining pedals of the roses with DD 7, so they all drying now and I have the stems still soaking in water....an idea that is probably pointless. I am wondering if I insert a few into potatoes, if I will have good luck starting some bushes. Maybe I can grow potatoes an start rose bushes at same time....what a scatter brain I am sometimes.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Doesn't it feel good to see progress?

I had some cut roses sprout awhile back. I had thought about seeing if I couldn't get them to grow, so I did some research on it. While it is possible, the problem is that they were, in all probability, from a graft. And, at least in this area, they normally don't do well. However, it's much warmer where you live, so go for it.

Glad you took the time w/your DD 11. IMO, that's one of the most important things you did today.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that my clothes drier is not heating up. DS and I are at odds about what to do with that problem. He wants me to go buy a new one. No problem, right?? Well, I hesitated and its almost a week now, that I have been line drying, inside and out, depending on the weather. Well, I hope he has enough clothes to get thru the weekend of work, while I'm away, because I haven't figured to open my major appliance repair book yet, but I will....like almost right now. Hope its something easy. Its just no flame....and a dusty mess.
Well, I am very proud of my clothes line...one of DH's better ideas and when I found out the situation I was in, I cleaned my clothes line rope with a soap and bleach solution, which took a good while and now, it looks brand new, except for about 9 feet, I can't reach. So I'm not afraid to hang my uniforms out there. Also, I was given some advice from my bff a few years back which I should have questioned her on when my washing machine went out....she told me to not get rid of my old washing machine cuz the new ones use 1/3 the water the old ones did....apparently we have a water shortage or something....idk. I've seen pics of the world and have a globe and it all looks pretty wet to me and besides, I'm completely surrounded by water and even lose my yard at times, and my house is 8 feet up to keep the water out, so I just don't get it, but anyways, we need to use less water. So when my washer broke I went to her and she showed me a washer that she claimed would come closest to what I want, but it costed a bit more, but I bought it. Well, it took while for me to discover that it wasn't as good as I liked and she got her butt chewed a while, but then I played with it and discovered I could over-ride the setting and demand more water, so now, I'm happy, but drier is out.
Well, in all of this, DS's shirts began to get pit stains, which he never had before. I thought some of them would need to be thrown and it looked like he was about to throw a beloved t-shirt he loves to wear and I told him Mawmaw had a treatment for stains....let me try. And it worked, so I have been removing stains ever since on the kids shirts. Its pretty basic...just wash your stained garment as best you can, without drying and then rub some soap into the stain, then hang on a line for a day and night...'Let the sun and moon do their thing to it.' Then put it back in the laundry and wash it with the rest of the laundry and see what happened. I guess I probably have told ya'll that my grandmother was a genius.