Are we living our dreams?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's possible that your friend's hubby is suffering from depression over the whole overwhelming situation. People can be almost paralyzed with it; unable to do anything to help themselves.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In a way, I can relate. So much has fallen upon me, that I'm almost set up for failure in one way or another. There is so much of me to go around and then someone should pick up some slack. When I look at everything that needs tending, I can sit down and cry and not do anything. But crying won't get the job done. My friend texted me her DH's number today....hello. I've been waiting for him and now its Friday, DS is on night shift and needs to sleep by day and I work weekends. The guy should have come when I told him. Oh well, I was just being nice. I really don't have the area cleared anyways, but I'm working on it and really he could have helped me. Actually right now, with the price of gas going down, it might be hard for him to secure work, but that doesn't excuse the past 3 months. I do feel for him though. I think he is just stuck in a rut and I feel sorry for my friend when she gets enough and confronts him. I've had to confront a few times myself for various reasons and it isn't always good.
Well, today my girls did some schooling (and fighting) while I was hanging the clothes on the line, then I told them we had weird science to do and to get dressed warm. So we put together, a little experiment, with Paul Wheaten's film on building a composting hot water system. We used a half of a 50 gallon black drum, some leaves and cypress needles, some chicken poop and about 50 feet of hose. Having a gasket problem and lots of spraying, so will remedy that very soon so we can determine if its effective. Call me crazy, but if it works, I want to bi-pass the trailer's hot water tank, which doesn't seem to even have a circuit in the panel box....don't know the story behind that one. One of my older girls is living there and needs to use my shower (which is quite alright) and I guess washes dishes with cold water. We can fix it, but if we can do it with weird science, so much the better. In fact, if it works, no telling how far I will take it. Seeings as I'm totally unsupervised, I can have some fun with it.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay....paranoia setting in. I go take a bath and set up for night and put a couple of logs in the potbelly, come back on the computer to check a few things out and come back here and my local electric company has a pop-up, saying 'ways to cut my utility bills' click here....and thats not the first time someone or something seems to be monitoring what sorta posts I'm writing. Weird.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - It happens allll the time. I was researching blenders the other day. Now all my pop-ups are from Vitamix and Blendtec.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I get popups all the time from something I've been researching, or even on the threads that I'm reading.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm home, for a little while I tried taking the weekend off to deal with setting up the apartment I'm trying to fix for Daddy, but the most the DON was able to do for me was give me my first shift off. I'm hoping I'm about to get a text that my next is also covered, so I can take this uniform off and get busy, in a bigger way than I actually will.
The working area in question, is beginning to become more organized for what all is about to happen to it an DS and I are mulling over our game plan. I guess we will be ripping out the carpet and going with vinyl....fake hardwood, so we can keep it cleaner.
Daddy is so desparate to stay at his house, he asked why my sister won't just move in with him and that its her house and she can kick out whoever she wants. I relayed his message, which was received with quite a surprised response.
DS is worrying me about our clothes dryer situation. I do have a new tool to diagnosis it, but haven't attempted it. Electricity seems to confuse me. I need to check between 2 parts to see which is out, then I can unplug and remove what needs replacing....if I can find the part. So DS is offering to pay for the new dryer. Thats besides the point. We have clothes lines, inside and out and we keeping up with the clothes. This is actually fun for me. Kids.......This is like a game that I'm winning. He is on his night shift, so he is asleep, but I plan on having a dried batch of clothes on the line, with a note to please remove it and hang what all needs hanging, cuz he is likely to just put it in a basket if I don't.
Well, I told DS that if I can tackle the drier problem and learn a few basics, I want to take another stab at learning about solar power. I did mention a thread from here and suggested that perhaps most of the cost of solar instillation is for the contractors, so I think its worth checking into.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that it's even possible to make your own solar panels for a fraction of the cost of buying them.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Good luck getting it all pulled together! Learning for yourself is the best way to do things! I just don't like the trial and error part lol

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorta hard day teaching school, while thinning out the junk. I don't know about y'all, but my kids are constantly getting hand-me-downs....both clothes and toys. Well, I was looking at this big, bulky, and (yes) broken dollhouse, that was given to my girls by the neighbors, I guess, because it was no longer good enough for their girls. Well, its not pretty enough for mine either, but here it is. I made an offer to my 11 year old. "If you let me get rid of that one, I will buy a nice one at Hobby Lobby, tomorrow when we go to the city for my meeting." and she thought that was a good deal. So it will set me back on money, but we will get something pretty, that we can work on together, that will look so much better with the old time funiture and famlies they have.
I'm even trying to get rid of things that ordinarily, I'd want, like yarn and craft items. I mean, when am I going to have time or space for all this junk?
I have these metal shelves I got from Wal-Mart, years ago, to keep our storage things organized and they stopped being organized a long time ago. Well, the Christmas tree is out. I think I can just put all the presents under the nativity scene or have a Christmas wreath or something, hanging. I don't have room for that big box.
I'm putting all the tools out on the floor where DD18's bed was and trying to see what all I really need and what I have extras for. I have 2 tool cabinets and I figure I can send one to DH with a bunch of tools, I don't need. Think I might send him his momma's turn table cabinet....whatever you call that thing (I know what its called, but not sure if I spell it, if I might not have destroyed it). Also, I have this water cooler, filter deal...which was all DH's idea to begin with, but its taking up my hallway and using my electricity. I figure I can just use one of those igloo deals, like Momma used in the 70's on the cabinet. If the family wants it filtered, I can get an attachment for my sink. That would have to save my space.
Feel like I just want to make this place look nice and clean and have less stuff.
DS, for some reason has been looking at property for sale in neighboring, southern states. Our property would generate a hugh amount, compared to those and its always been a dream to own enough property to be able to bring out the dogs in my nightgown and not have to worry about being seen (actually I already can, but not guaranteed). So we figuring on very soon being able to start saving for a large purchase of acreage. Now he wouldn't want me to sell this place, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't. His reasons are for a hunting camp. He was looking at this property ....1,000/acre and they selling 30 acres all total, but its in northern Alabama and he says it will snow, but we won't have to worry about hurricanes...but also looking at other places.