BarredBuff: Journal Dos

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Those blackberries look yum! Will you please tell me how you make jerky in the oven? I'm moving in a few weeks to a country where there is no such thing, so I'm going to have to make my own if I want some and I do!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'll wait for BB's approach, but low and slow in the oven is easy (I think 160 degrees for 8 hours?). The thickness of the meat has to be not too thick.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Jamie is right. Low and slow is the best approach. Cut meat fairly thin---about 1/8 inch. The day before fix a thin marinade to soak your meat in. I prefer teriyaki flavor. Let marinate for at least 12 hours. The following day lay meat out on a cookie sheet and dry at 200 degrees Fahrenheit until your desired texture is reach. Probably 6 to 8 hours.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank you! One more bother, then I'll leave you in peace ;) Have you got any marinade recipes to share?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Not really. I am very novice at this. However, what I did do and liked was I got a cheap bottle of teriyaki at the grocery store. Then I marinaded the meat in it. However, it needs to be a fairly thin marinade so add a little water to it to dilute it. Not fancy and not my best work, but it has a good flavor. However, I am going to continue to experiment with it. Hope this works for you.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll experiment a bit and see how it goes.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I didn't get to post yesterday; it was a killer day. Yesterday morning I got up early and we got the corn sprayed. I hate using pesticides, but sometimes if you are going to grow anything you have to use them. Then we hauled off four loads of brush from a red maple that had to be cut a week or two ago. It had to be cleared for my new chicken coop which hopefully I will get to start on this week while it is moderately cooler. Still have more to cut and clean up. Got a nice little bit of firewood off for my woodstove and camp fire.

After that my aunt and I worked on the John Deere Gator for about three hours taking it apart to clean it really well. It has been overheating and we took it apart to flush the radiator really well. In this process we found a petrified rat under the gear box. Oh buddy, that was a great find. We had to take the seats off and the plastic cover and screens. It turned into a bigger job than I anticipated. Then after all of that it still didn't end up fixing it. Still overheating. According to the troubleshooting guide, we probably need a new switch for the fan since the it wasn't the radiator. Oh well. It's always something.

Then I started canning my peaches. We ate quite a bit and I saved a dozen to make peach butter. I ended up with six quarts of beautiful white peaches. They'll be so tasty this winter.

My sister also did her first horse show last night too. So after a busy day, we headed to a place about an hour away and watched her show. She got a third place and a first place. It lasted forever, but she was thrilled to do it and loved it. We didn't get home until 1 o'clock this morning. So I've dragged all day...

Last night we were not supposed to get home at a decent hour, but that didn't happen. She entered two more classes after we got there, and so we had to stay longer, but anyway Mom's friend came to shut the chickens up when it became apparent we wouldn't be home until late. She had such a time with that. The geese kept her in her truck for a little bit then they got bored and left. Then she got out and seen a man creeping around on the road (at 11 o'clock mind you) and that scared her some. So she called me and I walked her through it. My coop is located in a pretty isolated area and it can be scary if you aren't used to it. She managed to get them latched in, and when she got back to the car the geese were waiting on her. SO I owe her big time!

I managed to sleep in this morning. Then we went to Sunday School and Church, and we had a great service. After lunch, I started my peach butter. I peeled and sliced those peaches and placed into my Dutch oven, and added 1 and 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, 1 tbsp of cinnamon, and 1 tsp of nutmeg and started cooking it on low heat in the oven. It is still cooking and will probably cook all night. I do think I used too much nutmeg.

Tomorrow is going to be an inside day. We are supposed to get storms tomorrow. I am going to work in the garden if I can in the morning. Then after that I have a bunch of cooking chores to do. I am going to make three batches of bread. I do this so I can freeze it and make it less often. I am going to hopefully have my peach butter done. Then I plan on making a triple batch of mayonnaise because one just does not last long enough. Then I have a week's worth of eggs to clean. Plus I am going to make hamburgers and fries for supper tomorrow. All homemade so its going to be delicious. I have also got to find my article manuscripts I printed the other day. I lost them between my desk and the pantry lol. I hope the weather man doesn't know what he is talking about so I can hopefully do some laundry tomorrow too and hang on the line. I need to make a batch of laundry soap tomorrow too. Then I may do another horse riding lesson tomorrow too. Soooooo much to doo!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I thought I was busy......sheesh! Peach butter sounds delish and I know it will be awesome on some fresh bread!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I envy you all that young person energy! Getting old and fat is the pits.... but it still beats the alternative!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The rain came today which was a blessing. We were needing some. I expect to start canning a little here in the next week. We are saving cucumbers up for a batch of bread and butter pickles. Then last night I noticed the pole beans have four inch beans on them. So probably by Saturday we will have some to eat and hopefully to can up. No work got done in the garden today :( but it sure looks good after this rain. I also suspect no work will happen tomorrow because it is thundering out right now.

I managed to get most of my to do list done today. I got 3 dozen eggs washed and put away. Then I made five batches of mayo. The first three were a disaster. Very watery. Then the last two had weird tastes. Same recipe I have been using too. I think it was the vegetable oil. I had a different brand than my previous batch. So...mental not no off brand cooking oil. I did get three batches of bread made, and they turned out great!

IMG_3401.JPG

That is some of the prettiest I have EVER made. So good too! Me and Sister ate half a loaf right out of the oven. I took time to day to see how much it costs for me to make a loaf, and it takes about 90 cents each to make. :D A good value, and very fresh, tasty, and nutritious! A win for sure. After that I realized I was out of washing soda, so no detergent today. Hopefully, I can make it Wednesday after a trip to the store tomorrow evening. Supper also turned out okay too. I ran out of yeast after my last batch of bread. I thought I had another one pound foil package in the deep freezer, but never could find it. So I had to use a very old packet of yeast on my buns for supper, and it was dead yeast so no homemade buns. So Auntie picked up some store bought bunsto use, and about an hour ago I found the yeast in the upstairs freezer. :lol

The peach butter did get finished today and is pretty good! I did have to finish it out on the stove this morning, because at about one o'clock this morning the oven stopped for some reason and didn't finish cooking. I did get a little to much nutmeg, but was able to balance it with some ground ginger. So it ended up being pretty tasty.

My article manuscripts were found on top of the refrigerator after about an hour's worth of searching. :rolleyes

I feel like I have chased my imaginary tail today. I tried to get a lot done, but it just fizzled out along the way. Tomorrow's agenda is going to be laundry. Its supposed to stop raining so I'll be able to hang clothes on the line. That's the only way I'll do my laundry. I love line dried clothing. I need to do some cleaning in my room and the kitchen so another house chore day :( Then a trip to the grocery and feed store to get a few things.