BarredBuff: Journal Dos

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
BB, you're going to make some woman very happy one day.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I hope to one day. :)

It's been a couple of days since I have gotten to post. I'll hit the highlights. I got my laundry soap made Tuesday evening, and love it. Then Wednesday was a busy day. I made a batch of butter, and buttermilk. I feel like I moved to the Pacific Northwest and no one told me, because it has rained most everyday except Wednesday and Thursday. Then that day I also worked on laundry, and over two days of work I have managed to catch it up. Then that following night we had Youth Group, and my 8 boys were about more than I could stand I just wanted to scream at one point. They are 9 to 12 years old, and some of them are hard to deal with but I am trying to do better.

Thursday was an adventurous day. I got up early and hit to the garden, and got my melons and squashes fed again with manure tea. Then hauled rich, rotted compost and mulched the tomatoes. Then we had a company. My aunt had some friends from Holland in and they came by for a visit. That was so interesting. The kids loved the animals, and the adults loved the homesteading stuff.

Thursday was also the day I had three near death incidents. How I escaped I have no idea. The gator almost blew up. Then I had the dirt bike out, and couldn't make the turn into the driveway and run it up the bank. Somehow I didn't wreck, and I have no idea how it didn't happen. Not to mention I had didn't have a helmet on. Did I mention I have very little experience on it? The third near death incident was during my horse riding lesson. I rode my gelding, Captain, yesterday and we were warming up and I was trying to get a feel for him. Then he reared up on me big time. I felt like I was at the rodeo. I had my pressure points and stance right so I didn't fall off. Still a mystery how I didn't even get a scratch that day.

So it has rained cats and dogs all day. I got nothing accomplished today except I finally got a printer so I am back in the writing business!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Scary stuff! If a horse rears up on you, throw your weight forward. And, if you have to, jump off! I had a pony rear on me years ago. When I realized he wasn't stopping, I jumped off. Good thing I did, he crashed over backwards.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Glad you've come out unscathed! Take care of yourself out there!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Its a been a little bit since I updated here. Life is crazy for me. Not to much time to post it seems like.

My horse lesson this week didn't go to well. I got on Captain and took one lap around the place, and I had to get off. Something wasn't right and I could feel it. I had to stop. Me and this horse are just not working out well. I may try another one next week.

The garden is growing like mad. I have harvested tons of summer squash, some tomatoes, cucumbers, and green beans this week. We even managed to can 10 quarts of green beans on Tuesday, and will have more to do on Monday. The sweet corn canning patch is strutting it stuff. I've never had a patch grow so fast. My winter squashes and melons are also thriving. We have had plenty of rain, but good soil does a long way too.

I finally managed to put together a good homestead medical kit. I am actually pretty proud of it. It is in a rubber maid tote. I'm fully confident I could mend most basic, and some serious medical issues. Now time to combine resources on first aid into my binder. So if you have any good resources please share.

Checked inside the Honey Bees the other day, and there is no honey in the super. So no honey this year. Bees are very unpredictable. I'm thinking of trying a new batch from a different source because honey is an important food to have especially locally grown.

Today, I spent five hours buying stuff for the Youth Group camp out tomorrow. I am fully envious of the farm where it is going to be at. The land is spacious, and secluded complete with perfect sized log cabin and homestead water source. My dream place for sure. Myself and the other Youth Group Leaders worked there this evening mowing, weed eating, cleaning, and all other stuff like that. I'm fixing a from scratch breakfast for 50 people Saturday (pray for me :) ) and this has just mind blown the women folk on the team. Self-reliance is a dying art which I find to be quite saddening.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Hey BB, can you post what all is in your first aid kit in a separate thread? I think that would be something very informative for everyone on here.

What kind of problem did you have w/the horse? Was it anything specific, or just a matter of it not being a good fit?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I will do that.

I wore different shoes than previously, and I could not get balanced to start off. Then I just sensed that we were not jiving for some reason. He was very stand offish and I had trouble with him. He can misbehave quite a bit every now and then.