BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
For my birthday I asked for a large doe like my other one BUT I didnt get it.
For my birthday I got a large doe like my large one PREGNANT!!! PLus permission for a new hutch! (Gonna start it in a month)
Hey BB, Will be interested in hearing how the Lops produce as meat rabbits..... gain rate, feed conversion, etc. Years ago when DS was in 4-H we had Palomino and New Zealand whites for meat and Lops to sell as pets. Maybe we missed a meat deal with the Lops?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I thought of you today - at TSC the middle of three troughs of chicks were nothing but BO pullets!!!!!! :p
I would have drooled! :drool

We went there on our way back from Lexington. I picked up another feed trough. I was gonna get 10 CXs but they had NOTHING but rabbits (which I already have)

Sending you a PM, FJ.

Ohioann the lops get HUGE quick. By 10 weeks they are ready. They are good mamas also. My red spotted lop is the best mother ever! I will be keeping records also....

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't on SS for a few days and missed your birthday so ... Happy Birthday!

And congrats on the speech thing! And especially congrats on the rabbits. Looking forward to hearing how they do. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Sorry I wasn't on SS for a few days and missed your birthday so ... Happy Birthday!

And congrats on the speech thing! And especially congrats on the rabbits. Looking forward to hearing how they do. :)
Thank you!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My velveteen I bred for Easter babies lost her two babies AGAIN. No more breeding for her. She wont take care of them. I would cull BUT its Sisters pet that I take care of. So cant do that.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was looking into breeding velveteens but it seemsto be incredibly common for them to have issues with breeding. some wont breed at all, and those that do often loose litters, are generally nto great mothers ect...

shame because i think velveteens are just beautiful...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
FarmerJamie said:
I thought of you today - at TSC the middle of three troughs of chicks were nothing but BO pullets!!!!!! :p
I would have drooled! :drool
Here you go, youngin!

2768_bo.jpg

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
i was looking into breeding velveteens but it seemsto be incredibly common for them to have issues with breeding. some wont breed at all, and those that do often loose litters, are generally nto great mothers ect...

shame because i think velveteens are just beautiful...
Thanks Jamie now I have to make a trip to Ohio........... :D

PF, dont waste your time on them. This doe is terrible. She kept her first litter, and she only had 1 baby from that one. Then she lost her second litter. Her first two litter were had on the wire. Then she had this litter in the nest and STILL lost it. I think my lops are the berries. They are excellent mommas. They arent picky eaters either like the velveteen. Plus they are much friendlier. The velveteen is mean...

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any chance you can breed the velveteen and lop at the same time, and foster the velveteen's bunnies to the lop?

Sorry she didn't work out again. Even my Calis, who are generally good mamas, lost several litters with first-timers over the winter.

Your lops are nice-looking though. Didn't realize they fattened up so quickly. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I dont plan to breed her again because sister would want to keep them and they dont fit in with my plans. I take care of her two pet rabbits now. I feed and water them and clean for them.